CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN.

→ CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN; RESENTMENT. 

Hannah took her time giving Mrs. Jenkins her injections in hopes that Michael would eventually give up and leave. Every part of Hannah wanted to go outside and forgive him straight away but she wasn't going to be taken for a mug, not anymore. It would be painful but Hannah was determined to hold her ground.

Mrs. Jenkins thought the whole thing was hilarious. She had kindly made Hannah a cup of tea and gave her some advice which Hannah was grateful for, she needed an outsiders point-of-view, someone who did not know the ins and outs of their relationship.

"I don't want to talk to you, Michael," Hannah barked once she had left the house to see Michael still sat in the doorway with pleading eyes. She ignored the groan from Michael as he stood up and began to follow her through the posher area of Small Heath.

"Liar."

Michael wasn't an idiot and he knew Hannah more than she knew herself. Hannah could sit there and say that she never wanted to speak, or see, Michael ever again but he saw the truth and he was going to get it out of her, even if it meant following her all the way back to the convent and disturbing the residents who were trying to settle down for the night.

"I'm not lying. Just go back to your mums with your new fiancée and leave me alone because I don't want to talk to you or see you." Hannah hated using the word fiancée, it felt like poison in her mouth.

"Hannah, stop running away."

Hannah was about ten steps ahead of Michael, she had never walked so quick. Her bag that contained all of the medical equipment she needed was bashing against her thigh but Hannah couldn't feel the pain, her main focus was on getting back to the convent with a murder charge looming on her head.

"Running away?" Hannah shouted, spinning around to look at Michael who immediately stood still. "You were the one who ran off to America without even informing me, you were the one who didn't bother to write to me to let me know that you were okay so don't you dare stand there and say that I am running away."

"I had no choice - "Michael started but Hannah's loud scoff cut him off. He knew that this wasn't going to be easy and that it would be painful but it would be worth it in the long run, the two of them would have the chance to sort things out properly, even if that meant they never got back together.

"You had no choice? You always have a fucking choice, you just have no backbone."

As soon as Michael had stepped on the boat at Liverpool docks, he had hated himself wholly. Every night, he would lay wide awake and think of Hannah and all of the things that she would be doing, his heart heavy and full of sorrow. He should have fought harder, Michael knew this, but no-one would ever understand how he felt when Tommy had informed him of the new business venture. Michael truly believed that he was protecting Hannah - if anything, he had only ruined her.

"Don't be like that." Michael moved a few steps forward, stopping when Hannah backed away. It killed him to see, she was usually the one running over to him but she couldn't even stand to be near him anymore.

"Don't be like that?" Hannah mocked, her voice brash which would bring in a few noise complaints but, in the moment, she was too heated up. "I will do and say what I want Michael, alright? I want you to leave me alone because I don't want to do this." Hannah turned back around again and continued to walk on. The sound of Michael's footsteps had her breathing heavy, a tiny part of her happy with the fact he wasn't giving up.

"Han, please - "

"Don't call me that," Hannah bellowed, her feet moving quicker. Michael was faster though and soon enough, he was stood beside her. "Why are you still following me?"