A Tale Of Two Daughters

Claires POV

                "Your what?" My mother exclaims, almost horrified at the thought that I would even question her about him. I roll my eyes, what a drama queen. I take a step towards her and put my hand on her shoulder, in comfort.

           "My father-" I think of another way to describe him. "The man who helped give me life- you know.. The sperm donor." I finish my sentence off as my mothers face goes blank and stares at me. Atticus almost laughs but covers it up with an almost exaggerated cough.

            "Mi spermo es tu spermo, mi peni-" I continue as my mother snaps out of her trance.

             "Claire Rose Beaumonte dont you dare finish that bloody rotten sentence!" My mother scolds me as she shrugs my hand off of her shoulder.  "A young lady such as yourself should never use such vulgar language!" She says with a glare. I roll my eyes and look up at the crystallized ceiling with a groan. Here we go again with the young lady stuff.

              "Mother- we arent in the 60's" I say as I stare up in a gloomy matter. Atticus looks in thought as my mother seems to come to a final decision on what she would say to my request. I stare at her in anticipation.

            "Yes." She finally says.

         "Yes?" I question. "That's it? You had an entire dramatic reaction for you just to say yes? How quite boring." I say in disappointment as my mom stares at me in astonishment.

              "Save some disappointment for the story of your disappointing father, young lady." She says with a frown.

            "Shots fired." I mumble as I stop blocking the doorway.

            "Ooh! Let me show you to the grand kitchen." I say excitedly. "It has stainless steel appliances." I wiggle my eyebrows at her as she smiles at me. She lets me grab onto her arm and lead the way as Atticus commands the wolf gaurd to the armory to get his blades sharpened, and then turns to us and also follows. Where I go, he goes. Where he goes- better believe ill be in a corner watching with a bag of salt and vinegar chips.

            It's like an unspoken bond- I've known him for such a short time and yet, I trust him with me. With my life. Was that normal? I don't know, but then again- none of this is technically normal.

             I hear his footsteps catch up with me and feel his fingers lace with mine. Heat rises to my cheeks at something so innocent as I look back at him. He winks.

           I suppress a smile as I turn and look to my mother who seems deep in thought. Is she thinking about my father? Is she trying to piece together lies that she's going to tell me? Is she freaking out about this dimension being real? What's going on in that elegant, strict head of hers?

          I bump my shoulder with hers and flash a grin at her when she looks at me.

         "Nothing to be afraid of mom. I'm no longer living in a shell- literally." I say, thinking back to just a day ago, before I had hatched. I shuddered.
         "He can't be that bad." I reassure her as she gives me a small smile.

          "He wasn't bad at all- he was actually very lovely." She says as she casts her gaze downwards.

          "He was the love of my life." Sadness develops in her tone as we walk into the kitchen and she glances around.

            A modern looking room, Steele appliances, cleanly painted white cabinets, a large window just above the kitchen sink- and cabinets filled with- pop tarts? I do a double take as I seem to recall everything in this room except for those new flavor pop tarts stacked in the cupboards. I look at Atticus questionably as he rubs the back of his head sheepishly.