Chapter 56: Tell Me

ELEANORA'S POV
I squeeze my eyes shut when my door opens.

"Gabriel? Gabriel, is that you?" I ask, my eyes still shut. I told everyone to not go into my room. I managed to clean off most of the automatons' blood myself.

  "It's me," Gabriel says. "Are you alright?"

  "I'll survive," I say, opening my eyes.

  Gabriel takes a cloth and hands it to me. "You still have blood on you."

"I can't be bothered to wash it off," I mutter, sitting up.

  "You should," Gabriel says. "Cecily is talking to Will. You should go and see him."

  I sit up. "Me being bloody may not help. I have not yet fully recovered."

  "You are grieving," Gabriel states, "over Jessamine Lovelace's death."

  I bring the heels of my hands to my eyes, rubbing them. "You know what was the last actual conversation I had with her, Gabriel? She was telling me that Nathaniel had corresponded with her, and she had promised me that she wouldn't reply. I should've known."

  I lift my tunic slightly, revealing my bloodied side. I had used an iratze on it, but it is still open, and blood still flows. Even so, it has healed mostly.

  I apply pressure to the wound, as Gabriel tells me that I should see Will.

  I finally stand and clamp a hand on his mouth. "Please shut up, Gabriel. I'll go and see him, if that is what you think is best." I remove my hand. "How is Gideon?"

  Gabriel frowns. "His leg isn't healing very fast, but he will be alright."

  Just then, someone bursts into the room.

  "Ella?"

  I gape at my Brother. "Caspian?"

Caspian approaches me and wraps me in his arms. "I was so worried."

"I'm fine," I say easily. "Where have you been staying?"

Caspian hesitates, then smiles at me. "It isn't important. You're pretty bloody, Ella. You still need iratzes. Gabriel could you help her out?"

Gabriel gives me a pointed look as I sigh in irritation and go back to sitting on the bed.

Gabriel takes out his stele and draws out an iratze on my arm.

I blink as the burn sets in.

"How long are you staying?" I ask Caspian hopefully. There's something about him...

Over these few weeks I've missed the reassurance of Caspian's presence—being able to feel his emotions. I wish now, more than ever, to be able to feel what he does.

There's something in his eyes that's so strange. Longing? Loss?

"Cas?" I say softly. "What happened?"

Caspian's gaze flitters briefly to Gabriel, then back at me. "Nothing you need to trouble yourself with. I haven't found anything, if that's what you are asking."

I frown, and I stand as Gabriel places his stele back into his pocket.

Suddenly, Sophie appears at the doorway.

She seems stunned to see all three of us in the same room. "Master Gabriel, Master Caspian," she greets. "Miss Ella, the Consul is in the drawing room. I thought you'd want to know."

I flash her a tired smile, knowing full well how concerned she must be for Gideon. "Thank you, Soph."

Sophie nods and darts off. I look at Caspian, an eyebrow raised.

"Shall we?"

~

  Gabriel leaves to be at his brother's side, and Caspian and I quickly make our way to the drawing room.

  Caspian heads into the drawing room first, then me trailing behind me.

  The Consul's eyes widen as he takes note of me and Caspian.

"Nightstorms," The Consul growls, pulling out a pair of daggers and flinging it at Caspian and I.

I don't think. I reach over for the dagger aimed at my Brother and catch it by the handle. I let out a soft exhale of relief. It's then I realise that our arms are crossed. He just saved me from the dagger the Consul had thrown at me.

We slowly bring our hands down, shooting each other a grin.

"Consul," I say, nodding slightly in greeting. "Consul Wayland."

The Consul scowls. "You two bring shame to your family."

Caspian's jaw tightens. "We didn't come here to fight with you, Consul."

"Haven't you met Ella before, Consul?" Charlotte asks.

The Consul glares at us. "I was never paying close enough attention to notice the Nightstorm eyes, or even the Starkweather auburn hair."

I wince when he says that. "Starkweather features aren't very prominent on us."

"Well you two certainly don't behave like your Father," Consul says.

Suddenly the door opens and Will and Cecily tumble in.

  Will's eyes widen at the sight of me.

  "Nora," He says, walking up to me.

  He takes my hand and leads me out, flashing a look at Cecily.

  He shuts the door behind him, then turns to face me.

  "Nora," he says again. "I should have checked on you sooner. Are you alright?"

  I smile, but it is a sad one. "Nothing I can't handle myself, Liam. What's going on?"

Will looks so broken. "Jem. He isn't getting better. Tell me that he'll get better, Nora. Please."

I bring my hands to the side of Will's face and tip toe to press a light kiss on his forehead.

"Will..."

  I can feel Will shaking. I wrap my arms around him, and he rests his head against my shoulder, trembling in my arms.

  "Will," I say softly. "Look at me, Will. Look me in the eyes."

  Will lets out a shuddering breath that tears my soul apart. He looks up and I brush his hair away from his face.

  "We may not be able to save Jem," I say softly. "But we can save Tessa. Do you know where she is?"

  Will's eyes harden and he nods. "Mortmain is playing a sick joke on us, Nora. He's in Wales. Cadair Idris. I've been there before. That's what Jessie meant."

  I scowl, angry. So angry. At Mortmain.

  "We should go in and see what the Consul has to say," I say.