Chapter twenty-eight: Zira's point of view.

Hatari came scampering up from the water hole, a smug smile on her face. Zira could tell that something was up. Hatari was never this happy, unless she had something to tell Zira.

"Good evening, Hatari. Why so cheerful?"

"You'll never guess what I saw at the water hole today, mother!!!" Hatari squealed happily as Zira rolled her eyes. Here we go again... She thought. Hatari continued as Zira began to eat the meat in between her paws. "Well, I followed Vitani to the water hole today, because I got suspicious of why she was going there every day. And you'll never believe who she was with." Hatari climbed on Zira's back so that she could get to her ear. She put her mouth up to it and whispered, "it was prince Kopa." Zira instantly stopped eating, staring off into space. She then stood up, causing Hatari to tumble off of her back and stared at her in shock.

"You're joking..."

"Nope. I know what I saw mother. And I think Vitani's in loooove." She said playfully. "You could see it. She kissed him on the cheek and everything. You should probably do something about it."

Anger bubbled inside Zira like lava in a volcano

Anger bubbled inside Zira like lava in a volcano. Vitani? Her daughter? With prince Kopa? The son of King Simba, the only animal in all the lands that she despised??? In love with him??? No. This couldn't be. It shouldn't be. It wouldn't be.

Growling, she went back into the cave, planning on what she should do to stop this. She couldn't allow Vitani to be taken away from her as well; not when she had lost Scar already. There seemed to be one solution. Zira was willing to do whatever it took to keep her family safe....whatever it took.

The next morning, Zira stopped Vitani as she was scurrying out of the cave, as she always did. "Vitani." Zira barked. Her daughter's ears instantly went down as she turned around to face Zira.

"Y...yes, mother?" She asked.

"Stay here for the day. I have some business I need to attend to."

Vitani gulped. "But mother, I-" she began to protest.

"No buts. Stay here." With that final word, Zira stormed off into the pridelands.

Upon coming to the water hole, Zira did find Kopa sitting there. She growled.

"Hello, Prince Kopa." Kopa whipped around to see Zira. Instantly, his ears went down in fear.

 Instantly, his ears went down in fear

"Z-zira!!!" He exclaimed. "I'm sorry, I have to go..." He tried to run, but Zira jumped in front of him, blocking his escape.

"Oh no." She said. "I have something that needs to be done first." She began backing him up against a wall. She raised her paw.

"Please!!!" He exclaimed. "What did I do?!!!"

"Mother, stop!!!!" They both turned to find Vitani rushing towards them. "Leave Kopa alone!!!" She jumped at Zira, but she just swatted her away. Getting to her feet, she got ready to pounce again, when Zira swatted her front right leg, sending a bloody gash down it. As Vitani screamed in pain, Zira turned back to Kopa, who was frozen with fear.

By now, Vitani was crying. "Mother, please!!!" But Zira was overcome by anger and hatred; ignoring her daughter's cries.

"I'll teach you to stay away from my daughter!!!" She brought down her claws.

One strike. Two strikes. Two turned into five, five into ten, and on and on. Zira unleashed all her pain, all her fear, all her guilt, all her anger, all her hatred upon Kopa. Blow after blow he cried out. "Zira!!!" "Please, I wanna go home!!!!" "Stop it!!!" The cuts grew deeper, turning into irreversible damage. Yet, Zira kept going. She was not herself when she allowed her anger to get the best of her.

 She was not herself when she allowed her anger to get the best of her

Finally, she stopped. Kopa lay there, not moving. No more sounds or sobs escaped Vitani. All was silent.

Zira looked at Kopa. His pelt was drenched with blood, deep cuts all over his body. Turning around, she looked at Vitani. As her mother looked at her, Vitani gasped, and tried to scurry away, but her injured leg made it impossible for her to get more than a few inches away. And seeing her daughter, that very moment, Zira remembered that terrible day. The day it all went wrong. When Ahadi had found out about her and Scar. Could it have been true that the king was so overcome by anger, he didn't realise what he was doing? Zira remembered only seconds ago, all she had her mind on was anger. She was angry at Simba. She was afraid that the pridelanders would take Vitani from her. But...she hadn't been thinking at all, really. Of any other possible solution, or any sort of compromise or acceptance. Zira had let her anger take control of her, something she had hoped she would never have to do. She looked down at her paws. Red liquid oozed across them. She looked back at Kopa. The same red liquid ran from his cuts and onto the ground. Kopa was gone. What had she done? She had let herself be overcome by anger. Like Ahadi had. Like Kinga had. Every moment she spent as a cub, being afraid of such animals, she looked back at now. How could she have been so stupid, to think that she could escape anger? It comes for everyone, and she had failed to control it.

And now, well, she didn't know what to do. She couldn't just go back to the pridelands. There was evidence of what she had done.

Not speaking, she walked away from Kopa and picked Vitani up by her scruff, walking back to the cave on the border of the pridelands and the outlands.

It was so quiet; even the crickets were afraid to chirp.