Chapter 15 - At the Dragon's Lodgings

Before Sofia came within sight of the Dragon's Lodgings, she could already smell the sulfur in the air. She wondered, disconcerted, where it was coming from. Far in the distance, she could see a small cluster of houses, but she didn't associate them with the smell until she got closer.

It wasn't an assembly of houses after all, but one large, three-storied building and a few carriages and tents huddled around it.

Sofia remained standing at a safe distance, her body stiff with fear. She couldn't believe her eyes.

Over the entrance of the inn an enormous dragon's head stood out proudly, and from its nostrils, yellow-green smoke that smelled of rotten eggs and foul whiteflowers, emerged.

There were many people around, either coming out or going into the inn, or walking past it. None of them paid particular attention to the dragon's head that moved slowly, its eyes glinting like gold nuggets, its nostrils wide, snorting softly, churning out smoke.

All of a sudden, the dragon's head turned towards Sofia, staring at her, the heavy eyelids squinting like it was trying to get a better look.

Sofia swallowed and forced herself to move forward as if she was as little impressed by the dragon as everybody else appeared to be.

The dragon's head tilted, pensively, and after a moment, it turned to its initial position above the door. Its wide, heavy neck protruded from the wooden structure, but there was no body attached to it, neither inside nor outside.

Sofia walked toward it with her body and mind screaming at her to turn away. She tried imitating the other people and didn't look at the dragon. Until, that was, when she stepped over the door sill and felt herself being enveloped by a cloud of sulfuric smoke.

She heard something like a chuckle above her.

The dragon had churned out a reeking bulk of mist that settled dry and sandy on her skin and clothes.

Sofia jumped, startled, and coughed. The dragon kept snickering, then pulled away, looking back into the distance, as if it was feigning innocence for the prank.

There were about two dozen people inside what appeared to be both a tavern and theater hall. Most of the people were busy erecting a wooden stage, but a few were lounging at tables, heavy plates of food and gleaming glasses of drink in front of them. All of them erupted in hearty laughter at Sofia.

A man with a wide forehead and heavy belly covered in a white, spotless apron came towards Sofia. He was laughing, but looked scoldingly at the dragon.

"Bad boy," he called. "You're scaring my guests away, you evil beast."

He handed Sofia a towel, and said,

"Don't mind him. He's still young and doesn't know how to behave."

"And whose fault is that?" A tall blonde woman was joining the man and taking the towel away from Sofia.

"Here, let me," she said and proceeded to rub off the yellow dust without waiting for permission. "You'll never get it off like that." As Sofia squirmed under her harsh treatment, she added, "Now, sweetheart, don't worry. You won't break."

Then she ushered her inside but not before she had flapped the towel against the dragon's cheek and gotten a wail out of him.

"Don't do that," the man said, his voice small as if he felt the hurt as well.

"He needs to learn, and so do you," she said.

The man grumbled but didn't disagree. "Come," he said to Sofia. "We'll get you a glass of water for your throat."