Petrichor

Petrichor; the pleasant, earthy smell after rain.

C H A P T E R   T E N

I opened my eyes to see to see a teary-eyed Scarlett leaning over me. The water drops that were sprinkled on my face for the purpose of waking me up were now getting mixed with the tears that had flown very willingly a few moments prior.

I sat up and came in terms with the fact that I was in some unknown person's car because as for the people with me in it, I know none of them had one. Noah was driving, Matt was in the passenger seat, his head turned towards the back. Scar put her arms around me whispering through the sobbing about how much I had scared her. "Oh my god, are you alright?"

Before I even asked her for it, she passed me a bottle of water. "Yes, don't worry. I'm fine," I tried to smile.

"Why would you be dumb enough to stand outside at a party like that all by yourself?" Noah bellowed.

"Oh Noah, would you mind keeping your bloody voice down for just once!" Scar snapped at him.

"I wasn't standing there alone. I was waiting for both of them," I signalled towards Matt and Scar.

"Scar, why would leave her alone for even one moment? You know how these parties are like!" Noah questioned, as usual, not bothering to reduce his voice.

All this while, Matt was just staring at me desperately and the expression on his face told me how deeply sorry he was.

"I thought Matt was with her. I went inside to tell Jordan that I was going back with her."

"And you! You don't leave her side for one second throughout the whole day, always joined at the hip, but the one time, the one time that you're actually needed, you decide to screw up," Noah glared at Matt, taking a left turn, which told me we weren't going back to campus.

"I just..I went in because I had forgotten my cell," Matt replied.

I was still flabbergasted at the incident that had taken place. All the past memories were still fresh as day. I was grateful they hadn't brought up the fact that I had a panic attack but it was obviously coming. The only problem was, I wasn't ready to answer anyone's questions right now because I didn't know how to.

The car halted in front of a hospital and I was frozen. "No! No way! I'm not going in there at any cost!"

Noah turned back to face me but before he could say a word, Matt spoke up. "Syd, we saw you just sit there and cry and shake uncontrollably and I have never been more terrified in my whole life. You scared us so bad. So bad," I felt like it was gonna be any second now that a tear would fall from his eye.

"You had a freaking panic attack, Syd! And knowing it happened because I wasn't there with you, it just..." Scar cried.

"Okay, first off, it's no one's fault, alright?"

"Yeah, okay sure," Noah scoffed.

"Noah! Please, would you just calm down?"

He just shook his head in disbelief.

"I know all of you are worried but I'm okay. Really. There's absolutely no need for this."

"But just so we're completely convinced that you're fine, can you please just come in once?" Scar tried to insist.

"Alright, let's do this, I promise that if I don't feel well, I'll tell you all myself to take me to a doctor. But just listen to me this once, I really just need a good night's sleep," I pleaded.

"Just stand by your promise," Noah said and turned the car back on. I gave him an affirmative nod.

Christ, I couldn't be more relieved that they listened to me.