Don't let me down (Part 1)

Peter, Bucky, and Loki are brothers, taken by hydra. They are teenagers when they are mind wiped, and turned into soldiers.
----------------

"Remember, you three. If you're ever in trouble, say our code word. Remember what it is?

"зима" the three chorused.

"That is right, my little ones. When you are in trouble, remember."

----------

The three soldiers didn't remember their past when they were thrown into the same cell. They were put there for reconditioning. For punishing, because they didn't follow the rules.

-------------

One was a boy, no older than fifteen. His brown hair hung limply over his eyes, the smooth skin of his face blemished by scars. His brown eyes were wary, darting over his surroundings, although he knew them well by now.

The others were close in age, looking no more than seventeen. One with dark brown hair, and blue eyes. He had a metal arm.

One with green eyes, black hair, and a mischievous smile.

-------------

The three regarded the others, each weighing their words carefully.

Surprisingly, it was the boy who spoke first.

"What did you do?" His question is directed at the green-eyed teenager.

The teenager in question studies him carefully.

"I tried to escape."

The boy nods.

"I tried to fight. Reconditioning."

The other one speaks up. "What's your name?"

The boy looks down.

"I remember my name. Nothing else. It's Peter."

The others nod.

"My name is Bucky." Says the dark haired one

"I am Loki." Says the other.

--------------

Hours pass with nothing happening, and the three talk quietly to pass the time. None of them remember anything but their names. Nothing about themselves.

---------------

"Do you think I had a family?" Peter murmured softly.

Bucky glances over. "Course you did."

The next question is even quieter, so quiet he has to strain to hear it. "Do you think they cared for me?"

Bucky's heart shatters at the pain in his voice.

"Yeah. Who wouldn't?"

Before he can reply, the door opens, and several guards march in, grabbing Peter, and pulling the boy out. He doesn't resist. They've learned not to.

The door shuts, and the two soldiers are left to their thoughts.

They can't do anything about the screaming when it begins, they simply curl up, hands over their ears, because they can't help him.

------------

Hours later, the boy is thrown in. His body slams into the floor, eyes closed, and lifeless.

Bucky crouches beside him, wiping the blood off his face as gently as he can manage.

When Peter wakes up, he doesn't say anything, just curls up, head resting on Bucky's lap. Then he is asleep again.

Bucky looks up to find Loki watching him.

"He's too young for this."

Loki shook his head. "We can't help him. There isn't a way out. I've tried."

Bucky ran his hand through Peter's hair. "Maybe not."

Loki glanced up. "What do you mean by that?"

Bucky shook his head. "Nothing."

They were silent for several minutes before Loki spoke up. "You know, I have the strangest feeling. It feels like I've seen you before."

Bucky glanced up. "Yeah?"

Loki shook his head. "Nevermind."

-------------

Peter woke up suddenly. He shot to his knees, scrambling away from the figure he could see in front of him, mind still foggy from pain.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. It's just us."

His breathing slowed as he realized who he was with.

"B-Bucky?" His voice shook, barely managing to say the word.

Bucky moved forward slowly, hands out. "Its okay, Pete. It's just us. Everything will be okay."

Peter shook his head. "I remembered."

Bucky and Loki exchanged glances. "Yeah? What do you remember?"

Peter shook his head, wide-eyed. "One word."

The two leaned closer. "What was it?"

Peter took a deep breath. "зима."

At the word, it is as if someone flipped a switch, memories flooding back into their heads.

All three stare at each other, shocked into silence.