Chapter 25

Song: Hans Zimmer - Time. 
Play when told, or don't.

Jayson's P.O.V

I've been running for two days, the longest I've ever been in wolf form. My legs had gone numb some time yesterday, my mouth dry in desperate need of water and the rest of my body screamed for me to stop.

Don't even think about it - Roger growled viscously in my head.

I won't  - I snap back, even though I wanted nothing more than to stop and take a break.

But I couldn't.
I had to keep him safe.

I didn't have to look at him to know that he was still crying. He'd been crying since the moment I laid eyes on him, a sight which pained me more than I knew it could. It was like a burn that festered continuously, never dwindling.

I dreamt of meeting him for years. Seeing how he'd changed since the first moment I had the pleasure of laying eyes on him. I dreamt of many different first interactions; ones where he was just as happy to see me as I was to see him, others where we grew close as friends first, ones where we were a little awkward and took it slow, but not one of those many fantasies included our pack in flames and his face laced with tears. 

I never dreamt it'd hurt this much.

I wanted to comfort him, to make it all better. But I couldn't even begin to start unravelling the damage the attack would have on him. I had to keep him safe above everything else. I would get us as far away from our pack as physically possible, even if that meant running until I couldn't anymore.

I'd do anything to keep him safe. Anything.

--------

I'd fallen and managed to stumble on a few times now and every time, getting up was even harder than the last. I slowed my pace considerably and I knew if I kept going I'd put us in greater danger if I couldn't move. 

Looking around carefully, I search for a safe, hidden place we could rest. I followed the sound of rushing water, relieved to eventually find a stream which fed nearby plants some of which included food plants I recognized.

I took a quick break to lap up as much water as my stomach would let me before letting Levi do the same, though he didn't drink much.

I understood why.

I keep moving until I spot a high clifftop with an opening that could be a cave. I hoped, no prayed, to Goddess above that it was.
If it were, it would hide us well enough and protect us from any oncoming storms. Nobody would be able to see us and I'd already made sure to mask our scent every couple hours, so nobody could sniff us out. 

Trodding my way up the steep cliff, I take careful steps, watching for loose rocks. My muscles cried out for relief but I needed to make sure he was safe first, then I'd rest. Only then.

When I finally reached the top, a wave of relief flooded me at the sight of a wide, empty cave. 

I sniff it out to make sure we weren't entering another animal's home. I looked through every crevice for any sign of life or habitude, whining in relief when I found none.

It was vacant.

Pressing my paws down, I lay close enough to the floor for Levi to slide off easily and he did just that. But as I rose, he kept a firm grip on my dark fur, my eyes met his teary ones and I could see exactly what he was silently begging me not to do.

He didn't want me to let go.
I wouldn't dare.
I would never let go.

I shift then, needing so desperately to rest and now that I knew we were safe, my body was quickly shutting down. I sink to the floor and drag myself to the back of the cave, resting my back on the hard surface. Levi follows closely, his grip tight as he stares at me with those big eyes I wished weren't so broken.