Chapter Six: Monday

Damian couldn't help but wake up early again on Monday. Even up until that morning, he had no idea what they were going to be doing that day, but his internal clock seemed to have a idea because he was up and wide awake an entire hour before his first alarm even sounded.

He got ready for the day with relative ease, constantly contemplating how to prepare for whatever was about to go down in the coffee shop. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't shake the excitement off of his anxiety.

This wasn't something to be excited about. But still, there was something that was so new and refreshing about it it really threw Damian through a loop. After all these years on the move, nothing ever seemed apt or enough. It all followed the same monotonous, beige script. It was always the same scenario painted in different shades.

But this. This. This was something different. This was something inexplicable. Something that couldn't be replicated in Everytown, USA. This was something worth getting invested in.
He dressed in his standard work get-up. A button up shirt, a tie, and slacks. He made sure not to pick the nice, new clothes he'd bought recently just as a precautionary measure. He had no idea what kind of action, or inaction, they were in for this morning.

Damian left the house hurriedly. He wasn't exactly trying to get there earlier than usual, but he couldn't quite help it.

He parked the same place he usually parked, outside the office building just a block down from the shop. The Monday morning air stuck to him as he made his way down the street.

Once he was directly in front of the coffee shop, he stopped to look inside. It looked like how it did all of last week. Yellow. Quiet. A couple people sitting on the outside. An incredibly tired-looking bespectacled barista just behind the counter.

Damian entered without a second thought.

Alexander's face lit up in recognition.

He casually waved to the employee. "Uh, hey there. I was just stopping by. I'm new to the area and wanted to check out the local shops. It looks pretty cool in here. Can I just get a, uh, regular coffee?"

Alexander's face fell. He didn't say anything.
The facade cracked and Damian started laughing. "Nah, I'm just kidding. How's it going, man?"

Alexander reached over the counter and lightly hit him in the shoulder. "Don't fuck with me like that, man. That's not even funny. You almost made me have a full blown conniption in the middle of my morning shift."

"Come on," he teased. "It was at least a little bit funny."

"You're a sick fuck."

Damian leaned against the side of the counter. "Alright, what's the plan for today?"

Alexander nervously eyed the other patrons in the café. "I don't know."

Damian followed his gaze. The couple people in there weren't even looking in their general direction. One was staring at a small laptop screen while the other was facing the window. "What are you worried about? That people will hear what we're talking about?"

The barista hushed him.

"Chill, even if they hear us it's not they're going to remember this in another hour anyway."

He shushed him harder.

"What?"

He spoke in a harsh whisper. "You don't know. I'm not saying you're not wrong but what I'm also saying is that you don't know."

"Know what?" he exasperated.

Alexander let out a beleaguered sigh and motioned for Damian to follow him.