Chapter 20

"I don't think I can do this anymore" were the only words that fill the room leaving Lauren stood there dumbfounded. Her hands that were once combing through the girls hair pause, and her heart, that was once beating so calmly, begins to hammer. Slowly, she pulls herself away, taking a large step backwards almost as if the younger girls words had burned her.

"Do what?" Her words were cold, her walls that Camila had spent weeks pulling down coming right back up.

Camila simply shrugs.

She doesn't know.

She liked Lauren. That wasn't it. She liked their time together, so that definitely wasn't it. Maybe it was the fact that every time she saw Lauren she remembered the words she had obviously not so subtly overheard.

No progress had been made in regards to Lauren's feelings or lack there of towards her, and she was beginning to lose hope.

Lauren, for the first time since she can remember, tears up. She didn't think this would hurt so bad. Rejection. Being turned down. Well, now she understood how Camila felt.

Tightening her shoulders, she runs a hand through her hair and forces the tears in her eyes to disappear.

"Well then you don't have to" was all she could manage to say, "you can go pack your things, I'll leave you a suitcase on your bed" she walks out of the room without another word.

Camila's head whips up at her words. Did Lauren just...end what they had? Without even a second of hesitation? Sobs bubble up in the back of her throat and before she could stop them, they slip through her lips and she finds herself falling defeatedly falling forward onto the couch.

The next hour was deadly silent. The girls don't speak, look at each other nor even acknowledge the other was there.

Camila hated it, she hated it so much that every time time Lauren walked past her she had to refrain from bursting into a new round of tears. She had to physically refrain from begging her to stay, from pleading to her that she never meant what she said.

But she doesn't, because she knew Lauren would just push her away. Physically and mentally.

The goodbye was silent and before Lauren could blink, Camila was gone.

Maybe she had overreached by practically kicking her out. Maybe she should have let her explain what she meant. But she had let her in. She had trusted her and allowed her to knock down the walls that had been built in her chest for years.

Maybe her reasons weren't good enough for anyone else, but they were a good enough for her.

Camila has hurt her and she wasn't going to accept that.

*

Weeks go by without a word from Lauren. She checks her phone constantly. Picking it up every minute just to see if she had maybe missed a text, a call. She knows it was stupid considering she was always right next to the device, but she was desperate to hear from her. To hear anything.

It hurts. More than she ever thought it would because Lauren was the first person she had trusted with both sides of her in a long long time. She had completely and one hundred percent opened herself up. Let her see even the most vulnerable parts of her that she had tried to hide and was so insecure about.

It was like that was all in the trash now. Like it hadn't mattered, that she'd never cared.

Allowing yet another tear to fall down her cheek, she once again looks down at her phone hoping to see a little red number by the iMessage icon.

But there was nothing. Not a single thing.

Feeling frustrated, she tosses her phone across the room, smiling in satisfaction when she hears it land with a loud thump.

But that feeling doesn't last long and she soon finds her face once again crumpling up in upset.

Why didn't Lauren just hear her out!

*

Two weeks and Camila's mental health was beginning to deteriorate. She hadn't eaten in days. She hasn't showered or changed her clothes. She hadn't even managed to get out of bed.

She was just...done.

Don't with existing. Done with trying to pretend she was okay when all she wanted to do was cry.

The now cracked iPhone was laying next to her face up, and almost like god knew she was suffering, it pings with a notification.

Trembly fingers reach up to press it, and when she see's a message from Lauren herself, she nearly pees herself

It was a simple, 'we need to talk' but it was more than Camila had gotten in weeks and she wasn't about to complain.

She replies as quick as she could without seeming desperate, and was soon rushing to her bathroom to shower.

**

So, an early update...whoops?

Next chapter: 180 votes (for real this time)

Stay strong and take care of yourselves ❤️