Headcanon Time

My feet dug into the soft ground, propelling me forward as adrenaline rushed through me. I glanced to my right and saw glimpses of my sister, her black hair flying behind her and her blue tunic flashing through the trees on either side of us. I grinned and fought the urge to laugh.

I leapt over a fallen branch and caught sight of the tree line. I was almost there. I was gonna win.

I gave a triumphant laugh and reached the edge of the cliff, diving right over the side. My feet left the ground and water closed over my head.

Bubbles rushed around me as a second splash sounded, another column of white appearing to my left. The noise sounded like a cannonball, and I saw Linh wave at me underwater. I grinned at her, water flooding through my teeth, and I kicked upward.

I broke the surface and spit a stream of water out of my mouth, brushing my sopping bangs from my forehead. Linh paddled over to me, a rueful smile on her face.

"Admit it," I said, smirking at her and treading water. "I won."

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. Guess I'll have to wait till next time to get a pet."

I snorted. "You mean wait forever."

She flicked her fingers at me and tiny drops of water sprinkled my face. "That's what you think."

"That's what I know." I wiped the excess water off my face and glanced at the shoreline. "What time is it?"

My sister shrugged. "How should I know?"

"Think we should get back?"

"Do you?"

I shrugged, loosing my rhythm and dropping a few inches. I wasn't as good at this as Linh was.

Linh looked over to the shore as well, her expression more wary than mine was. I knew she liked the water better than our parents--frankly, so did I--but I was getting tired, and if I didn't get out I was likely to drown. And there was no way I was letting Linh off the hook that easily. 

I gestured with my head and paddled to shore, walking as soon as it was shallow enough to do so. Linh took her time, ducking under and backstroking. I took one of the towels we had laid out beforehand and rubbed it over my head, doing my best to dry my hair.

Linh stepped out and immediately started laughing. I stared her for a second, not sure if I should move in case it set off another round of hysterics.

"Your hair's sticking up all over the place," she explained breathlessly.

"Ugh," I grumbled, running my fingers through my short hair and trying to flatten it. It wasn't working very well.

"You need a haircut," Linh teased, ringing her own hair out. She stepped forward and flicked my bangs into my eyes. "I'll make mom give you one."

"Hey," I warned, taking my finger and gesturing in circles to my bangs. "These? Off-limits." I poked her playfully in the chest. "Especially to twin sisters."

Linh's smile was scarier than my parents. "That's what you think."

"Come on," I said, throwing my towel over my shoulder and offering her a hand. "You owe me a Prattles Pin."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. I managed to make a happy headcanon. Yay me!

Don't get used to these