Chapter 25

It was such a warm day to go out to the markets and look for herbs. I didn't wish to go around and look for whatever needed in a crowded and noisy place. Sellers were trying to attract someone, yelling and offering such prices that would be considered reasonable.

I simply wanted to leave and not be here.

"How much is one bag of those?" I asked quietly, pointing at the yellow herbs mother asked me to bring. The owner of the carriage rushed to me, not wanting to lose a precious customer.

He looked at me briefly, before he answered, "Two gold coins."

"Two gold coins?" I gasped, looking down at the single gold coin mother gave me. "Wasn't it one gold everyday?"

"Two gold coins, young lady." he glared at me, his eyes watching me as though I was a hindrance. "You don't have them, you don't get them."

I was left looking shocked. Mother told me it was only one gold coin for a single bag of those herbs. How—

"The lady would like a bag of those."

I flinched in shock at the masculine voice near me. I turned around, wondering who it was until my eyes landed on a handsome Warrior. He looked like a Warrior— he carried daggers and only Warriors carried daggers. Everyone else carried bows and arrows or swords.

Why was a complete stranger buying those pricy herbs for me? I thought, looking at him with confusion and respect as he paid for the herbs. He lifted the bag of bought herbs in front of me, a small smirk on his handsome face. Were all Warriors handsome?

"Thank you, Warrior." I whispered as I bowed my head down in respect. "You shouldn't have gone through the trouble."

I felt a finger tip my head up, making me look into the wild green eyes of the warrior. He was looking at me with an expression that made me nervous, scared a little.

"It's no trouble helping a beautiful lady." he replied back quietly.

My body tensed when he stepped closer to me. He was acting strangely, moving closer to me in a way I thought was too inappropriate. I gulped and just as I took a step back, I felt my back gently tap something solid.

I froze when I felt arms wrap around me, but when I realised how familiar those arms were, I relaxed into them. The Warrior glanced up behind me, then an irritated look crossed his handsome features.

"What do you think you're doing with my promised bride, Luke?" he tightened his arms around me, his voice as cold as the metal of his daggers.

"Promised bride?" the Warrior, Luke, grumbled. "Truly, Jonathan? Why do you always take the beautiful ones? She's too innocent for your taste, don't you agree? I thought you fancied—"