eleven

saturday evening | calabasas, california

My stylist, Danae, was making sure that everything about my dress was flawless. I looked in the mirror at myself, assessing and evaluating the look.

It was a couture, gold brocade dress. My makeup artist had perfected the natural look with a popping red lipstick to match my red, Alexander McQueen high heel.

Danae smiled at me, moving a string of my hair out of my face. "I really think you should do full time modeling."

"Thank you, but no thank you. I'll leave that to my baby brother." I smirked.

"He'll be Milan next month, huh?"

I nodded my head and turned to look at her. "And I'm gonna be right there with him. Okay?!"

Danae laughed. "Well, that means I need to book my ticket."

"Please." I batted my eyelashes.

Danae agreed and we exchanged hugs before I headed downstairs. I received a small applause while I walked down the staircase and Chase met me at the bottom to make sure I didn't fall.

Good baby brother.

My Mom and Papa owned another home in Calabasas for when they hosted events. We really enjoyed the privacy of our real home and no one was invited there unless they were family, of course.

   This home is where they hosted celebrity parties, brunches and much more.

Tonight was no different. If you got an invite here, consider yourself golden. My mom was the ultimate socialite. She loved hosting events like this.

The occasion was that my mom had received her fourth Philanthropist of the Year award, this time right here in California. She was finally being recognized for her school, Cartier Academy.

She'd expanded the school from elementary to middle and high school. The children were performing so well, it was hard to ignore it.

Auntie Rayne had just received the same award in Chicago for modeling her school after my mom's.

It was cool to be able to be on the board of both schools. I loved being the one behind the scenes. I made sure the schools received the things they needed such as funding in needed areas.

Many celebrities flooded the home as they mingled amongst one another. Cameras flashed as I gave them fake smiles and conversation, not really wanting to talk.

But, that's the price of fame I guess.

Many asked was I still running track, like it was any of their business. I'd be back fully healthy next year and I couldn't wait. I was just in time, too.

The Olympics were rolling back around.

The women wore evening gowns and precious jewels and most of the men were dressed in dinner jackets with black ties, and some even wore frock coats.

I wasn't sure why, but they looked a mess.

As the servers walked around, I grabbed someone's order of champagne and chugged it. I couldn't be at these events completely sober.

Some of my mom's school sponsors and donors asked for a picture and I wouldn't dare turn them down. Had to keep the money flowing in.

"Wow, Nia! I remember when you were just a little five year old!" One of the older Black ladies cooed. "You've grown into such a gorgeous, and outstanding young woman."