[8] "Flighty"

A/N: This is a bit of overlap, but I promise it's worth reading because it's from a different perspective:)

     A KNOCK sounds on the door and I slip away, taking the first deep breath ever since Archer woke up. I swing open the door and see Grant on the other side. I furrow my brows, not sure why my best friend is here.

"Hey, we need to talk," he says, shifting on his feet.

"Oh hey, um, come on in," I say, a little anxious because Archer's here as well.

I start leading him towards the kitchen, not sure what to say. I just decide to be straightforward.

"Oh, and Archer's here," I say quickly.

"Archer's what-" he starts, but stops just as quickly.

I see both of them size each other up or whatever guys do. One look at them shows they're both definitely not fond of each other. Anyone could walk in here and realize these two are definitely not friends. Granted, Archer isn't really friends with many people, but still. I bite my lip, nervousness radiating off of me with both of them in my house. Oh god...Archer's not even fully clothed.

"Where's your shirt?" Grant asks, making me cringe.

Tensions heighten to a point where I could cut it with a knife.

"as I was saying, Archer-" I start to break the silence and change topic, but end up getting interrupted.

"Why are you here?" Archer asks.

I watch Grant's face and see him narrow his eyes into a glare. I want to facepalm for this awful luck. Just when Archer so happens to be here, Grant shows up too? Could things get any worse? I have one of my best friends here, and the other's a rumored killer...freaking perfect.

"I actually know Raven. Shouldn't you be with your girlfriend?" Grant snaps back.

I grimace slightly and watch as Archer gives a lazy eye roll. I stiffen, realizing that things could definitely get worse here. And queue the revealing that he's actually single and broke up with Leila. I open my mouth to say anything that'll stop Archer from saying what I know is inevitable because it'll look so much worse to see both of us here--especially with him shirtless and freshly out of a relationship.

"Grant-"

"We broke up," Archer says, shrugging as if not having a care in the world.

Grant stiffens. I decide to jump in before this goes any further. My palms are sweaty and I can practically feel the waves of tension coming off the two. My cheeks flame as Grant shoots me a look, but I know it really isn't the time right now.

"Anyways, I'm still on for 2:00 today so we can talk then?" I ask and turn to Grant, practically begging him with my eyes.

Grant doesn't even look at me as he's locked in his stare-down with Archer. I swallow thickly, back ramrod straight and hands clasped together to stop them from fiddling. Thankfully Grant nods and moves to leave. As we leave the kitchen, I remember him saying we needed to talk, and it sounded urgent. As soon as he gets to the door, I stop him.

"I know you came to talk, I'm sorry. What was it?" I ask.

"It's nothing I can't tell you when we meet up," he says, forcing a smile.

I don't feel right about it, but I let it go.

"Okay," I say and shut the door behind him.