Halcyon

Halcyon; happy, carefree.

C H A P T E R T W E L V E

My legs gained energy so instantly that one minute I was watching Noah reaching for the door and the next minute I was in his way. "Hey Noah, what's up man?" I tried to sound and look as cool as possible by keeping one hand at the doorknob and the other at my waist.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you being so weird?" the expression on his face was full of confusion.

Damn it; it's like he could see right through me!

"Um.. aren't you supposed to be at practice? Wha.. what are you doing here?" I stammered, removing the few loose strands of my hair which had fallen on my face.

"Yeah. Coach lemme go today, said I did well enough to get outta practice early. I haven't seen Scar all day. So, I thought I'd come to see how she is," he explained.

That stupid coach, he just had to let Noah go early today!

I thought of the best excuse I could come up with at that time, "You came at a wrong time. She's gone to her classmate's room to study." I had very little hopes of him believing in my pathetic excuse because it was a Friday night.

His eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "You're telling me Scar went to study at seven in the evening on a Friday night?"

"Yes, that's what I'm telling ya," I played it cool.

"Oh, bullsh-"

Before he could object and find out what the hell was going on in the room, I cut him off by changing the topic. "Wanna come and catch a movie with us?"

"Who is 'us'?"

"Oh, me, Matt, Ally and Chase. Jordan has some work and Scar is studying as I already told you," I smiled big at him.

"Wait, Scar isn't coming for the movie?" He asked in disbelief. "Wow, this professor must've scared the shit outta her if she's letting him spoil her weekend eve," he scoffed. "But, no. I don't really feel like watchin' a movie tonight. So I'll just stay here and wait for Scar." Of course, he wouldn't wanna come with us.

Seriously, this guy really works people up. I knew I had to take him along to the movie because letting him be here was way too risky. Obviously. "Oh, you don't wanna come. Good, Matt's gonna be super pumped about this," I muttered, loud enough for him to hear.

"What did you just say?" Bull's eye. I smirked to myself and continued. "Yeah, well, when I told him we should ask you to come along for the movie, he said you'd ruin the evening by picking a fight with someone, and when Chase told us you've extra practice, he seemed very happy about it."

I'm sorry, Matt! I had to do this for Scar. And besides, it's not like he and Noah even remotely try to hide their dislike for each other.

"Fuck this shit. I'm coming along just to annoy that asshole," he snapped.

I already had a bad feeling about this, but well, I didn't really have any other choice. "Cool, you go ahead and meet them near the cafe. I just have to grab my cellphone."

He surprisingly walked ahead, and I opened the door to find Scar and Jordan standing behind the door. Turns out they heard our conversation and Scar mumbled a 'Thank you' to me. I quickly grabbed my phone and rushed out not to make it look suspicious.

I ran to catch up with Noah, and we walked silently to the cafe. Once, we reached there, and the three of them saw Noah, the look on Matt's face was murderous. I was trying to convey my apology with the expression of my face while Noah greeted Chase with a 'let's just touch our shoulders' hug and now had his eyes were set on Matt with a stupid yet very sexy smirk plastered right across his face.