21 ❀ You just do

Ezra POV

          Ezra POV

     Watching Klepto walk into her house without even offering me a single word or look feels like being stabbed. I know I'm in too deep this time.

     I had failed her miserably, taken the one thing she looked forward to everyday. Going home to see her little brothers.

     As soon as it was revealed that she was to be moved to the pack office building, and that it was my plan, the look in her eyes was absolutely heart wrenching

     She had stared at me with distrust and agony, I knew that she felt like I betrayed her, that I'm just like everyone else.

     It hurts to know that I hurt her that bad.

     But I don't regret it, I can't regret it. It saved her.

     I would've said anything to convince the pathetic Alpha to let her go free. Knowing she had been rotting in that cell for nearly a week makes me angry with myself for not finding her sooner.

     I'm such an idiot.

     If my plan to get her out hadn't worked, I would've snapped again. My fists would find another victim, but facing a werewolf would result in a death, and I can't afford that kind of blood on my hands.

     Killing the Alpha of a pack I'm sworn to protect isn't the best idea.

     After I drop her off at her house, I decide I can't be around her without breaking my vow to ignore her place as my mate. Seeing her so incredibly mad at me stirs up the desire I have to claim her, and I can't let my weak moments control my life.

     So, I do what I typically do when I'm wrestling with emotions, I shift into my lycan and propel myself like a torpedo through the woods without a second thought. It's second nature to be a wild animal for me.

     The woods are my escape, my safe haven, and I need it more than ever now.

     My massive frame tramples fallen leaves and tree limbs, my height allowing me a vantage point to see more than any wolf. The tips of my pointed ears nearly make it past the tree tops. A chilly wind blows through the air, the feeling of it all is exhilarating... and distracting.

     I run for a few hours before I turn around and go back to our cabin. As soon as I get there I shift back to my human body, happy that I haven't been spotted by any pack members.

     The last thing I need is more wolves terrified of me.

     It's time for my shift with the patrol and I need to be at the border soon. I get dressed quickly and half hazardously, putting on whatever is clean and warm without really looking or caring what I look like.

     By the time I make it to the the borderlines, the sun is beginning to set and the light steadily decreasing.

    November is just around the corner, and hopefully with it will come snow and all I can feel is relief at the thought. As a child, the snow was always one of my favorite things. My adoptive parents were happy to let me play in the winter weather, as long as it kept me out of their hair.