Chapter 5.- Poison

Hurry steps were heard in the halls of the Castle. Cass, Eugene and Rapunzel were searching with desperation where could have gone the little alchemist. The princess felt her hectic breathing and pressure in her chest. They searched in all the rooms near Varian's room and they didn't find anything. The doors are opened and closed quickly, just a look inside the room and then they continued to the next. 

The eyes of the princess were full of tears, she was overcome by panic. They have reviewed each room and there was nothing. Raps stopped in the middle of the hall and pressed her the palms of her hands against her eyes, trying to not cry. Cass and Eugene turned back and saw her. They crossed their gazes and he went close to his girlfriend, he rubbed her shoulders while he gave her a warm smile.

-Don't worry, Blondie. We'll find him.

- Some news? - said Cassandra arriving by their side.

-Nothing. How could a dying kid disappear like this? - asked the man, being quickly accused by a pair of emerald eyes. -I mean! A sick kid. Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. A Sick Kid.

-Wow! You really know how to cheer up others, Fitzherbert- said Cass with an almost tangible sarcasm. 

-Is everything okay? - they heard a sweet voice coming closer. 

Queen Arianna saw them with confusion and her green eyes reached her daughter. She noticed that she was worried, so the queen came closer and rubbed her cheek while she was asking her daughter what was happening. Rapunzel took a deep breath and hugged her mother, she really needed to calm down and nothing better than a hug, that warm, and there is not a better hug than a mother hug. Finally, the princess could calm down herself and took a step back to see her mother's eyes. 

Once they explained to the Queen what the situation was, her face also showed concern. She thought in Varian, for her, he was just a kid, a sick kid if what her daughter said was true, and to be honest, she doesn't have any reason to doubt of Rapunzel.  But now Varian was missing. Arianna inhaled, her maternal feeling was active. 

-Okay, I'll order the guards to help you find him. I hope you can do it soon. After all, he's a child.

-Thank you so much, mom - said Rapunzel, hugging her mother.

Some crystal fell to the ground and broke into pieces. A hectic breath was heard, also the sound of crystal and metals crashing into each other because of a pair of hands that moved left to right, looking for something. Unfortunately, that wasn't there.  The teenager clicked his tongue. 

Varian almost lost his balance and fell to the ground, but he was able to hold himself with both hands on a desk. His little friend, Ruddiger, was bitting his shirt, trying to hold him.  Varian noticed that and gave the raccoon a slight smile. 

-Thanks, buddy - said hardly. - Let's go, we have to find that analyzer. 

Ruddiger was going up and down through Varian's arms and legs, trying to keep him safe, away from pointing things that could hurt his boy. The little one was trying so hard to protect his precious friend.

Varian started to cough again. Every time he coughed, the spasms caused him a big pressure in his body, in his chest, inside him. The boy squeezed with all his forces his shirt and the little blanket over his shoulders. He couldn't breathe, he felt like he was suffocating and at the same time, he felt he was burning inside. His knees weren't able to hold himself stand up and he fell to the ground.  Now he was sitting, his back against the wall of his lab. The burning feeling was becoming worse and he almost could feel his own nails buried in his skin, in his chest. Varian laid his head against the wall, taking a break, trying to get better, at least just a little, to be able to continue.