Abendrot

Abendrot; the color of the sky when the sun is settling.

C H A P T E R T H I R T E E N

The next day I found myself standing in the spectacular kitchen in Noah's house with Scar helping Judy bake chocolate chip cookies. It had been two hours since we were in the kitchen and Judy had pretty much done all the work while we just sat there and talked.

"Hey, grams, where is that chocolate syrup you always have? I can't find it!" Scar shouted, searching for it in one of the top cabinets.

"Oh yes, that got over. Noah finished the whole bottle when he came," she told us and went over to the refrigerator to add it in the groceries list. Then she turned to Scar and me and looked at us with her hands on her hip as we sat on the kitchen counter. "Will you both stop hogging on the chocolate chips?"

Both of us chuckled, and she went to the hall as the telephone rang. I popped another chocolate chip in my mouth and said, "Scar, I just remembered as Judy mentioned Noah, when are you planning to tell him about this whole thing with Jay?"

She sighed and quite obviously didn't have an answer to my question. "The sooner you tell him, the better. If he comes to know from anywhere else, Jay's getting a lot more than just a punch on his face."

"I think that's gonna happen either way," she scoffed.

Another voice joined in on the conversation. "She's right, Lettie. You've got to tell Noah. I mean it's his cousin and his best friend, dating."

Scar and I turned to see Judy entering the kitchen. "How did you know that Jordan and I are seeing each other, grams?"

A crease formed on her forehead due to the scrunching of her eyebrows. "Are you kidding me? How can I miss all that staring, the blush that spreads across your face when someone says his name and the fact that you end up sitting right next to each other every time? It's so obvious that you love the guy; you can't be discrete about it even if you wanted."

"Then how come Noah misses to notice all of that unlike us?" I asked Judy, bewildered.

"He doesn't fail to notice anything. He just trusts both Lettie and Jordan a lot." When Judy said this, it made me realize that Noah should've been the first person to know about Scar and Jay and instead he's gonna be the last. Judy just smiled at the both of us as she knew we both realized what she's trying to make us understand.

The oven went off with a 'ding' and just then the door opened to reveal the exact same person who was the topic of our conversation. Noah. He looked just as lovely as always with his usual black skinny jeans and a simple white t-shirt that had 'Vans' written on it in an amazing sky blue color and a bomber jacket instead of his signature leather one.

This guy had more t-shirts and jackets than I ever wished for!

He threw the keys in his hand on the couch, came into the kitchen and kissed Judy on the cheek. "Hey, grams!" he said, wrapping his arms around her. The old woman was overjoyed at his gesture even though he must've done it a hundred times before.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have to be at practice?" Scar asked, getting down from the counter and brushing the dirt off her hands.

"Yeah, but I went in for extra practice every night of the week, so I ditched it today," he shrugged. He turned around to look at me and smirked and then his vision shifted to something kept behind me. His hand went near the tray of cookies that had just been taken out of the oven and Judy slapped his palm as he attempted to pick a cookie after which he let out a very huffed groan.

"Wash your hands before you touch anything in my kitchen, Noah!" Judy pushed him towards the washroom. She told all of us to be seated in the hall where she's get the cookies. I went along, and Scar stayed back as she wanted her grams' advice on something. It wasn't that hard to figure out what it was.