Serein

Serein; the delicate, light rain that falls from a clear sky at sunset or in the early hours of the night; evening serenity.

C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N

"But where are we going?" I asked, as my feet dragged behind him.

We came out of the hall, and he turned back to look at me. "Tell you what, I'll take my Harley Davidson instead of Jordan's car if you stop asking me questions," he raised his eyebrows at me.

That effectively shut me up.

He took out his keys and handed me a helmet. Yesterday, he wouldn't let me touch his bike, and today he's willingly giving me the helmet? I held the heavy object in my hand, and my heart broke looking at the boy in front of me. His eyes were very eager to let loose, but he was pretending to be as strong as he could be and fought equally to keep the tears at bay.

I immediately sat on the bike after Noah and put my arms around his waist as soon as I heard the ignition switch on. I felt him inhale a sharp breath at my action and started driving. This whole incident about the funeral and Judy passing away was reminding me of the dark time that had once taken over my life.

You know you've to face it sometime, now that it has all come running back. My inner voice spoke, evoking the fear in me. I knew the thoughts that resided at the back of my mind were now on the verge of taking the form of nightmares. I shuddered at the possibility and left it alone for now.

As the tires of the bike were running against the smooth cement roads, I noticed the trees that passed us. We were in a completely opposite place now. The metropolitan view had now transformed into a naturalistic one. Before my mind could conclude the location we were going towards, the bike stopped, and I heard Noah shuffle and remove his helmet.

"We're here," he looked at me and gestured me to come along. "Let's go."

He locked his bike, and we started walking. I gulped looking at my surroundings. All I could see around me was the stock of the trees. The tress that possessed those stocks were as tall as the buildings that constituted New York. The crawling vines took up the whole surface of the ground. The shrubs growing on the damp, wet ground came up to my knees which told me that there was a very high plausibility of my stockings not returning home in a usable condition. We were walking through the steep concrete one ways that seemed to lead nowhere.

Why on God's green earth had this boy brought me here?

"Noah, I'm not sur--oww!" I yelped as my feet got stuck in the vine and I tripped.

The expression of pain made Noah spin instantly. He offered me his hand, and I stood up. "Dammit woman, can you be a lil careful?"

I pointed at the choice of my footwear and gave him the 'are you kidding me' look after which he said, "Fine, just don't leave my hand, so you don't fall again."

After ten minutes of walking up and down the crevices, I caught sight of the sun. As we took a few steps forward in that direction, the scene before me left me astounded.

Gone were the long green branches and trunks of the tree and there resided a cliff. The cliff held the view of the beautiful ocean. Little daisies were growing on the border of the cliff. The place was as simple as it could be but the peacefulness it possessed made it more beautiful than ever.

After I was satisfied appreciating the phenomenon of nature that faced me, I looked at Noah who was still not done admiring the view.

"Come on, let's go," he caught my wrist and tugged me along.

I stuck my feet to the ground and didn't move. "I thought this was where you wanted to bring me. And even if it's not, can we please stay here? It's so beautiful."