268

HI UM SORRY MALIGNANT IS AT 3 MILLI WTF?? thank you holy shit. Also exams are done so let's yeet this wheat

this chapter is thirty pages so enjoy

Day 36 without Amelia

I knocked on the front door of Mary and Ben's house, holding Briar in my right arm who was crying on my shoulder and the duffel bag strap on my left shoulder. It was the day of the meeting; and Amelia was still not awake.

Briar's been extra difficult today, she's been up all night and I myself haven't slept in almost three days. I was at a breaking point and trying to keep it all together but it wasn't easy. I was in such a dark place in my mind that I was starting to forget what it was like to be at ease. I felt like a walking corpse mentally and physically.

The white front door opened up and Mary was standing on the other side. Her hair was braided down the side and she wore just some grey sweats. When her eyes met mine, her lips turned into a frown and her brown eyes held slight shock.

She looked so much like Amelia it just pained me.

"Harry your eyes.." She stated in guilt, I could barely hear her over Briar crying in my ear, a noise I heard all day everyday.

"I-I know, I haven't slept in a little bit." I blink my eyes a few times.

"They're bloodshot and your eye bags are very darkly swollen. When was the last time you slept?" She asked in motherly concern while looking and Briar and reaching out for her to take from me.

"Uhm- a little while ago, I don't know. I'm fine, it's fine. I'm sorry that she's crying, I can't seem to get her to ever stop these days. I should only be an hour and I'll take her off your hands." I hand her the duffel bag of Briar's things.

"Okay but wait a second, Harry I'm worried for you. Have you even showered?" She trails her eyes up to my hair before back to my eyes.

"N-no I rarely get the chance, but I'm okay. Thank you for watching her for a little bit, I-I won't be long." I lean over and peck Briar's forehead as she screamed a cry. I was so numb to it now.

"We can watch her for the night if you need it, you know that." She tried to assist but I instantly reflected it.

"No it's okay, I'll be back in an hour." I cut the conversation short before walking back away from the door, getting dizzy from the transitional turn but I was used to that. It's probably unsafe for me to drive but I didn't really have a choice.

"Just take your time." Mary said with the worry in her voice, worry for my health. I nodded and turned around to walk down the driveway to the car, rubbing my eyes a few times.

"And Harry—" She grabbed my attention again over Briar's crying, making me turn back to face her direction in the doorway. She looked at me with concern while holding Briar on her right hip. "Please be carful at the meeting." She finished, knowing what I was walking into but also knowing I didn't have a choice if I wanted Briar to be safe.

I nodded slightly.

"I'll be fine, I always am right?" I murmured rhetorically before turning back to my car and walking around to the drivers side, opening it up and hopping in.