Chapter 25

Chapter 25

On the doorstep of Cal's apartment, Kelly greeted Cal with a hug that pushed the limits of simple friendship. It was extra tight with a final squeeze before letting go. In his oblivious state, Cal had no idea how worried Kelly was over his short disappearance. What seemed like a bad dream to Cal was a living nightmare for Kelly.

"I'm so glad you're OK," Kelly said as she turned toward her car.

"Me, too."

Kelly fired up her Charger and began seeking details.

"So, what happened last night? How did your car end up in a ditch? How did you get home? Did this have anything to do with the case?"

"All I remember is that a big truck bumped me from behind a couple of times and forced me off the road. When the car came to a stop, the air bags deployed. I remember trying to get out to inspect the damage and then I blacked out. When I came to, I was bound to a chair with duct tape and some guys in ski masks told me to stop sticking my nose where it didn't belong. Then, the next thing I know, I'm waking up in my own bed."

"That's it? Nothing else?"

Cal fidgeted with the envelope in his pocket. After a moment's hesitation, he pulled it out. After the events of the previous 24 hours, he trusted no one-except Kelly.

"The only clue I might have is this letter I found on my dresser this morning."

Cal opened the letter and began reading it to himself. However, it wasn't fast enough for Kelly's inquiring mind.

"What does it say?"

"This is creepy."

"What does it say?"

"OK, here it goes," Cal said as he began reading the letter aloud.

Mr. Murphy,

We apologize for last night's rude introduction, albeit one without names and faces. I'm sure you have many questions, but now is not the time to give you all the answers. We view you as an important ally, but strongly urge you to keep the events of last night to yourself and create a good cover story. We have plenty of information to give you, but the timing is not right yet. There are some things happening in your community that would put you at risk if you knew them. The best thing for you to do is to keep quiet and do your job without asking any questions.

When the time is right, we will present you with information that will surely land you in the national spotlight for your reporting skills. If you should choose to ignore our strong suggestion, we do have other ways of persuasion. And I can assure you that you're best off not experiencing them.

We trust you will show this to no one or tell anyone about this letter or the truth about last night's events, including Kelly or Guy. Until we meet again ...

"This is disturbing, to say the least."

"You're telling me. How do they know my name?"

"I don't know, but I've already done two things I wasn't supposed to do-tell you what really happened and read you this letter."

"Don't worry, Cal. Your secret is safe with me-unless something horrible happens."

"Oh, Kelly. There's no need to be so dramatic. Nothing is going to happen to me."

"Are you crazy? You could've been killed last night by some secret government group or something - or died when your car smashed into a tree."

Cal stopped.

"Who told you I smashed into a tree?"

"Dawkins did last night. I went looking for you and I pulled off the road next to his squad car and a tow truck. Then he showed me where your car landed."

"My car? It was smashed up?"

"Well, I couldn't see it because it was so dark, but he told me it was."

"I don't remember much, but I do remember coming to a stop between a pair of trees. My car wasn't smashed as I recall. It just came to a sudden stop in between two trees and that forced out my airbag. But it wasn't that bad. I wonder why Dawkins would lie to you like that."

Silence hung in the air as both tried to form a hypothesis. Cal concluded there was only one logical explanation: Dawkins was in on some sheriff's office plot to stop him from digging into the deaths of Statenville's three football heroes.

After a few minutes of breaking down their theories, Cal accessed all his steely resolve and boldly staked his pursuit of the truth.

"If someone is trying to kill me and make it look like an accident or cover it up-or if somebody just wants to keep me quiet for a while-then I must be close to some pretty big secrets that powerful people don't want uncovered. But it seems like there's more than one secret. This town doesn't want me to know something-and neither do some mysterious kidnappers. But this is great - I went into journalism to expose coverups like this!"

Cal glanced at Kelly and caught her smiling, as if she were proud of something.

"I don't care what Guy says, I'm going to keep digging on this case. But let's keep it on the down low, OK? Writing my reaction piece will be my cover for seeing what else I can find out. I have a good feeling about today."

Kelly rounded the corner at the traffic light just one block from The Register's office. Two deputy cars were parked outside the entrance with their lights flashing. Dawkins and Sheriff Jones were leaning against their cars and staring down the street in Kelly's direction. Once they saw Kelly's car, they opened their doors and began talking on their radios.

"I wonder what this is all about," Kelly said, as she pulled off the main street to park in the back lot.

"I don't know, but that good feeling is gone."

Cal had set one foot on the gravel parking lot before Dawkins and Sheriff Jones greeted him with handcuffs.

"Cal Murphy, you're under arrest."