Chapter 6

"Quincy!" I rush over to his side and grab his uninjured arm.

"Hi." He croaks.

"You're awake."

"Yeah, I was watching you react and... and I... nevermind."

"OK. So, how you feeling?"

"Well," he gestures to his room and arm. "Pretty bad."

"Oh duh." I facepalm. "That should have been obvious."

"You were just trying to make conversation. It's ok. I shouldn't have been so rude."

"No you weren't being rude. It's kind of obvious." I remember that my sister and mom were outside waiting for me. I tell Quincy that I will be back soon. I rush over to them. "So sorry. You can come in. He just woke up. I freaked out. Sorry for making you wait."

They walk in and Marta whispers in my ear, "Now I really do have to remind you to use protection."

"Shut up!" I shove her jokingly with my shoulder.

"Oh Quincy, what happened?" My mom says, sounding as if he did this doing one of his tricks that he would do in middle school.

"Hey, I didn't do this to myself." he puts his hands up in mock surrender. "I fell off my roof." I'm glad that they are getting along well. I wouldn't want my mom not liking my boyfriend. I mentally slap myself. We're not dating! I remind myself.

"Oh and may I ask one questi-" I start to say before getting cut off.

"No questions, everyone out. He needs to rest." Johnathan says.

I fake glare at him while saying "But he just woke up."

"I am tired." Quincy says. Now I turn to glare at him. "Hey I'm just stating the facts."

"Fine." I acquiesce.

I turn to walk out when Johnathan says, "One family member can stay." I have a feeling that he is onto us, but I don't care.

I glance back at Quincy and Amy is sitting next to him, staring at me. "You should be the one to stay, you haven't seen him in years." She is trying to tell me something, but I could care less.

"No, you should. You're the one who would talk to him less."

"You're obviously saying you would talk to him, huh. Interesting." Johnathan says while tapping the screen of an IPad.

"Bye." Is all I say as I turn and walk out the door.

I follow my mom and sister down the hallway. Surprisingly, my sister is the first one to turn around when we get to the door.

"Bye," She launches her arms around my shoulders.

When she lets go I say "Why are you so sad? I'm going to see you again. I'm probably going to be back home tomorrow."

"You never know." She shrugs. I know that she is hiding something, but I let it be.

"Bye." I hug my mom and turn around and walk down the hallway. Halfway down the hall, I turn around, but they had already left.

I turn back around and continue to Quincy's room. When I get there, Amy waves me in. "He fell asleep as soon as he was situated, so don't try to wake him up. He really was tired."

"Oh," I start feeling bad because I didn't take into consideration that he actually might be tired. I only thought about my own selfish wants. Amy had already left and I sit down next to Quincy, but don't touch him, like I normally would. He suddenly tenses up and he starts mumbling in his sleep then he starts shaking and a tear rolls down his cheek. He starts to try to move, as if running. I reach out and still his arm to calm him.