Chapter 10

We get to the hospital just before visiting hours end and I have to rush to get to his room in time.

I slam open the door and Quincy looks up quickly. He looks surprised, then happy, then mad as he realises that it's me that's here.

"Please, I need to talk to you. I need to explain everything." I'm slightly out of breath from running through the halls and I'm sure that I'm sweating a little bit. "I just need you to tell them it's OK for me to stay after visiting hours. Please. It will all make sense. I don't need you to take me back, but I just need you to hear me out."

He thinks for a minute. I almost turn around and leave, giving up, before he says, "Fine. You can stay." I breathe a sigh of relief.

We wait for the visiting hours monitor to show up, and while we do, I sit down in the chair farthest from the bed.

After she leaves, I start the conversation with, "Can I explain?"

"Well, duh, I let you stay." He shakes his head like I'm an idiot.

"OK. So, where to start." I think out loud.

"How about, when you decided I wasn't good enough and thought 'oh, I know what to do! I'll date someone else'?" He says this quietly, practically muttering under his breath, and he looks down at his hands fidgeting on his lap.

"I never decided or thought those things." I say, even though he won't believe me.

"OK, then what do you say happened?" He says, sneering at me, looking up from his lap with tears in his eyes.

I feel a rush of sympathy and regroup myself. I know that I have to stay calm, even if he doesn't. "I'll just start from the beginning. Is that OK with you or are you going to get mad?"

"You know what, whatever. I have nothing else to do." He says this quietly, while shaking his head and looking back down at his hands.

"OK, so you break up with Samantha, and I finally get a chance to accept that I have a crush on you." I smile at the memories of before this whole mess started, and get start to tear up because of them. "We hang out and I start to think that you like me back. And we spit up after the working on the project at your house, which we got excused from, by the way." I look at him, but he's not looking at me, but wiping his eyes. Seeing this makes my tears worse and I have to wipe my eyes too. "Anyway," I try to keep my voice from breaking, "I get a call later that night and find out that something happened to you. I run up to your house and see an ambulance and get ushered into it. I see you on the hospital bed and then somehow manage to notice that you broke your arm and hurt your neck, just by hugging you. Then we get to the hospital and we're spit up. And when I'm finally aloud to go and see you, you're in a coma and you just look so..." I try to find the appropriate word while also maintaining composure, "dead, I guess. This breaks me, and I pass out. Two hours later, I wake up and almost accept that you're hurt and that it's all ok. Eventually, you wake up and we all get kicked out of your room. I go and find your nurse Violet, who I had become friends with, and she tells me that everyone knows that I like you, and apparently everyone except for me knows that you like me. She tells me to ask you out and stuff. Then she goes on to tell me that... Johnathan... well, that he likes me to, maybe even loves me." This makes another round of tears fall as I remember the gut-dropping feeling of being so scared of another human.

"Wait...What? He liked you first? I thought you were just a traitorous bi-" He is fully crying now, but still manages to make his anger shine through like a spot light.

"Hey! Please just let me finish telling you." I say while my voice drops to a whisper from the overwhelming feeling of sadness from letting him down, and even deserving the anger from him, no matter what Amy says.