Chapter 23

"Sorry, (Stuffed Animal)."

       Clutching (favorite stuffed animal) to my chest in a tight hug, I closed my eyes and rubbed my cheek against the (color) fake fur on its head, trying to memorize its texture against my bare skin. Eventually, I opened my eyes and stared into its (color) eyes, a dull gleam reflected in the (glass/fabric) from the moonlight outside my window.

       "I wish I had room for you, but I don't... I'm sorry." Gingerly placing it on my bed near the pillow, I carefully positioned its (paw/hand/foot/appendage) over the piece of paper already resting on my bedspread, neatly folded in half with only a (single/handful of) name(s) scribbled on the front. Once I was satisfied, I gave (Favorite Stuffed Animal)'s head one last pat before grabbing my backpack.

        Glancing at the clock, I quietly left my room and closed the door behind me, not daring to look back. Funny how leaving a toy would leave me so emotional compared to literally everything else, but then again it was a reminder of my childhood. A reminder of all the happy days when I was just a little girl, of good memories full of so much magic for children. I could still remember when I got it—

        No.

        Don't even think about that, I can't waver now.

         I pushed it out of my head as I quickly hurried down the hall, not glancing into any of the open doors I passed as I headed to the back door. Opening it slowly and carefully to minimize noise, I took a deep breath and then stepped outside, stealing away into the darkness of the night and fleeing my home once and for all...

        "(Name)... (Name), wake up."

       Groaning groggily, I peeked open one eye to see Tim's face hovering nearby, peering at me with a serious expression. Sleep still fought to control my brain and I yawned as I rolled over, burying my face in the blankets. "Five more minutes..."

       "(Name), I found the rest of the video!" Sayonara, sleepy brain. Immediately my eyes popped wide open as I jolted upright in bed, staring at him in shock.

       "The Hoody one?" I asked, and he nodded.

       "Yeah! Come on!" As he rushed to his laptop I quickly threw off the covers and got out of bed, wide awake as I chased after him. Of all the ways to wake me up, this seemed to be the most effective one yet. As I joined Tim at his laptop he explained, "I woke up early today and figured I'd get a head start on watching the videos."

       "And then you finally got lucky," I finished with a grin, but to my surprise, he shook his head.

       "Not exactly," he said. "I decided to run out for a coffee before I got started. I was running a bit short on cash though, and earlier I'd noticed there was a change in the side pocket on the car door, so I started rummaging through it. And lo and behold, I found two SD cards there."