Chapter 26

"You... you want to split up?"

       I stared at Tim in shock, slowly absorbing his statement. Unfazed by my reaction, Tim just shrugged and nodded, folding his arms as he spoke. "Yeah. Look, I've been thinking for a while now, and we keep running out of leads. All we have are those memory cards, but at this point, I'm pretty sure we won't find anything else on them. No matter how I look at it we should've found something by now, so I think we hid the actually important ones somewhere else."

       So he figured that out too, I thought grimly, thinking of the cards still in my pocket. Trying to determine how much I could safely reveal, I slowly nodded and said, "Yeah, I've kinda wondered about that too. I didn't know how to bring it up though." Tim just nodded as I spoke, his expression remaining neutral, but I still caught a small glimmer of satisfaction in his dark eyes.

       "I thought you might have noticed it. You tend to pick up on stuff when it matters."

       "Uh, thanks, I guess," I muttered, and quickly steered the conversation back on track. "But why does the memory card thing mean we have to split up?"

       "So far, both major leads involve locations from the... 'original series,' I guess," Tim replied, pausing briefly to search for the right way to phrase it. "I've thought about it a bit, and I think that at the start we probably went back to major locations since we didn't have any other major leads yet. That's what we seemed to be doing in that video from the park, anyway."

      "True," I allowed thoughtfully as I recalled the video.

       "So if I'm right, I figure that we might find some clues about what happened during that gap if we go back to those places. Since there are a few locations though, it'd be faster to split up." An impressive deduction. I felt a growing admiration for his logical thinking, though of course I still had a few problems with it.

       "Okay, that sounds good and all, but I see two problems with this. First, right now we are basically living in a real-life horror movie. And in horror movies, splitting up tends to end with at least one person dead. Especially if they're exploring creepy abandoned buildings or forests. And—correct me if I'm wrong here—but isn't ninety-nine percent of Marble Hornets set in creepy abandoned buildings or woods?"

       I folded my arms and raised an eyebrow as I waited for a response, but Tim just remained the picture of calmness as he replied. "(Name), if we were onto something big, the Tall Man would probably appear even if there were two of us. Numbers haven't stopped him before, or at least not numbers that small. And anyways, if he appears we'll just run away. Always worked in the past."

       Not always, I thought grimly, recalling the large slew of disappearances in the series. Almost everyone vanished at some point. Also, I was pretty sure Hoody was taken away at some point before becoming, well, Hoody. I didn't comment on this though, sensing that trying to argue with him on this point wouldn't work.

        "Okay, fine, I'll just leave that then. But the other problem isn't that simple to solve."