Chapter 16

Lisa laid on her back facing the sun through her sunglasses. The air was fresh, not too cold but not too warm either. She breathed steadily as the sleepiness kicked in. Jennie was by her side, reading "The Rosie Project". She wasn't sure what genre the novel was but knowing Jennie, it most probably romance or comedy.

"I've had enough horror, mystery and tragedy for a lifetime from my clients. I don't want to read or watch depressing, sad story. l like happy things - romance kind of book or movie, no that I can feel it too." Lisa tugged a smile at the thought of Jennie's quote.

Lisa's world turned upside down within span of days. Jennie acted like nothing was wrong and Lisa couldn't be more grateful for that. She wasn't ready to spill the been to Jennie just yet. She still had a lot in her mind and she needed to fix herself before she told her everything.

The idea of sharing her past with Jennie was very intriguing. She wanted to see her point of perspective. And maybe she'd be able to move on at last. Jennie was one of the kindest people she had ever met. She didn't judge people based on the surface she see. She gave people chances even when they least deserved it

"Me, for example." Lisa said to herself.

Now the questions were; was she ready for a new chapter in her life with this gentle human being? Was she good enough for her? Was she strong enough to let her past go? Would she be able to make her happy? Would she allow herself to be free and love again? She didn't know.

But Jennie, in some way somehow showed her the way. There was a vague light at the end of the tunnel. It was promising enough.

Jennie asked Lisa to try with her. All she had to do was say yes.

"Sleepy?" The voice ringed softly in her ear. She nodded a little but opened her heavy eyes nevertheless. She removed the sunglasses as she squinted her eyes by the bright sun light.

"Are you done reading?" She asked.

"Uh-huh," Jennie shook her head. "Half way to go, see?" Jennie brought the book closer to Lisa. "You should sleep if you want. The weather is nice."

"Yeah, the weather is too nice to pass on." She replied as she adjusted her position into half sitting and supporting her body with her arm. "How come I didn't know you wear glasses?" Lisa finally noticed a pair of frame on her face.

"I only wear it when I read, sometimes." Jennie answered without taking her eyes off the book. 

"You look good with it," Lisa said before she can stop herself. "I mean, you don't look weird or anything." She quickly added as she wore her sunglasses again trying to act cool. Completely missing a shade of pink that spread on Jennie's cheek while she at it.

"It feels heavy on my nose"

Lisa didn't respond to that. She was busy calming her heartbeats.

It was Lisa's first time enjoying serenity at the park comfortably with someone. As the time passed by, her wall became thinner and thinner. Jennie broke her barrier effortless. Sometimes, she was angry at the thoughts, but who was to blame? Jennie? She didn't even do anything wrong. All she did was nothing but sincerely taking care of her and she was fond by it too much. That was the cause of her building collapsed. "All you have to do is try with me." The remark rewind in her brain over and over again.

"You don't have to skip work for me, you know," Lisa spoke after a moment of silence.

"I'm an exemplary employee, Lisa. I rarely take days off. Two days of telling a white lie is not a major crime." Jennie replied.