2. Chapter 4

Apparating had always been something that caused (Name)'s stomach to churn, and this time was no different. (Name) held onto Theseus's hand tightly as she was pulled across the city, appearing ungracefully as she stumbled into the cemetery. A chill creeped up (Name)'s spine as the wilting trees loomed over her, a foul taste climbing the back of her throat as she became more unnerved.

Theseus squeezed her hand in reassurance. "Still afraid of the dark, are we?" He turned his head toward her, brow raised teasingly. (Name) scoffed, pulling her hand free from his grasp.

"No, I'm just not fond of the places in which they keep the rotting corpses of the Parisian people's ancestors." (Name) grimaced as an image grew within her mind, her feigned confidence faltering with the thoughts' fruition. She groaned, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "Why did I say that?" Theseus chuckled, his quiet laugh uplifting the dense air that weighed upon them both.

More wizards apparated behind them, marching like soldiers towards their next battle. They split off, each Auror aiming for a different grave.

"Stay by—"

"I can take care of myself, Theseus." (Name) turned her head to him, her hard stare cutting through his demand. "I'll call for you if I find anything." And without another word, (Name) left the elder Scamander in the dust.

~~~

(Name) staggered through the unbeaten pathways twisting amongst the graves, their haunting presence prickling the hairs on the back of her neck. After a few moments, (Name) found her way onto a larger road which led directly to a towering building. The decrepit building crumbled, but the pull from its walls felt stronger than the urge to turn and run away; bare branches on the willowing trees beckoned her forward. Along the side of the grave was the name "Lestrange" in all its glory.

Here lay Leta's ancestors.

As she approached mausoleum, (Name) began to hear the echoing of voices bouncing off of the granite walls— angry, upset voices. (Name) took quiet and hesitant steps forward, inching herself closer and closer to the entrance. She peered around the corner, her eyes settling on multiple forms, all of which she was familiar with. A sinking lump of white silk drifted through the air in the centre of the room, the outline of a small, frail body swaddled in the fabric.

At the centre of it all, stood Leta, a forlorn, longing furrow nestled between her brows and sadness settled in the lids of her eyes. Leta's gaze held strong with Newt's as he stepped forward.

"You didn't mean to do it, Leta. So it wasn't your fault." The soft thrum of his voice echoed to (Name)'s ears.

"Oh, Newt," Leta softened her gaze. "You never met a monster you couldn't love." Stillness fell upon the pair of them.

"Leta, do you know who Credence really is?" Tina cut in, thin lips parting as she poured out her grievances. "Did you know, when you swapped them?"

Leta's features played dull, emotion void upon her stare and within her voice; "No."

Within seconds, an opening pulled itself into the walls, the greyed brick parting to reveal a stairway leading further into the earth. Jacob, who has been standing nearest to the opening, mumbled something, the words falling deaf to (Name)'s ears by the rumble of the stone. She watched as Jacob stumbled into the darkness of the stairwell, Newt and Tina following soon after.

Leta stood waiting, holding eye contact with the man from earlier — Kama. Her eyes flicked to the entrance of the mausoleum, meeting briefly with (Name)'s watchful gaze. Turning to the stairs, Leta departed briskly, followed by Kama's staggering form.

"(Name)?" Nagini's voice cut through the continuous grumble of the mausoleum. (Name) stepped into the grand room, glancing warily at the sleeping statues lining the walls. "What are you—"