Let me tell you a Story

Let me tell you a story, one that has been passed on by word of mouth since language was invented. And please note that this story is very old and has been changed and twisted over the ages. This version is one that my people hold true and from personal experience, I am inclined to believe it as well. Back in ancient times, when man and beast were still infants, the gods created Creatures, the first of Magicals to walk the earth. They lived their lives like their weaker siblings did, hunting and gathering, mating and creating children and offering tribute and sacrifice to the gods.

Not all was peaceful, not all was perfect, children and adults often fought, petty or something truly grievous; it was a fact of life. Jealousy, fear and hatred were powerful motivators so was pride, greed and lust. But we are born with the power and knowledge, taught by those who came before, to curb and control not only our emotions, but some of our instincts as well. Humans repressed their instincts for knowledge and the betterment of themselves while animals abandoned all logic and emotion to embrace only instinct.

Creatures found a happy medium, while not perfect, it worked and helped them. After all one cannot help themselves when instincts grow too strong or when logic is not always the answer. The Gods of Olde use to help match one with their mates, the couple to be usually eternally happy, children and grandchildren born to carry on their legacy. Creatures mated other Creatures, animals or a human who was perceived as queer, a little soft in the head or plain weird by the other members of their society. This was how the first Magicals were born.

Creatures are born with a natural understanding and the knowledge needed to use and teach magic, the Magicals had to slowly grow theirs, learn to master it and pass their knowledge on. But as time went on, the harmony of the world began to shift, to change in unexpected and frightening ways. And then the wars came, feuds that got out of hand, ignorance that led to grievous misunderstandings, fear turning to hate, hate into blood shed. The world had spun on its axis in such a way that even the Gods of Olde were left reeling from the sudden change. The Gods of Love and Marriage soon found it hard to match couples who were meant to be, who once upon a time thanked them, but now cursed their names, scorned their efforts.

Gods of War and Peace could not get a handle on all the fighting, could not work out peace or war grounds. Gods of Magic were shunned completely by those born without magic, the eldest of the Gods, Death and Chaos, also known as the Goddesses of Order and Life, were all but demonized.

The wars that sparked soon caught blaze and ravaged the land and for a very long time blood had soaked the earth, innocent lives ruined or cut short. Witch Hunting and Trials became quite popular, non magical Heroes, began hunting down Creatures and slaying them for fame and glory, for money or a woman's affections, who in turn would no sooner dump them or slit their throats in their sleep. Creatures pulled away first, asking their parents, the Gods to save them. The Gods convened and agreed, they would pull back and no longer guide their children more than absolutely needed.

They hid the Creatures in plain sight as well in magical and even alternate dimensions Creating natural paths and crossroads around the world so they may gather and interact when needed. The Creatures took with them their families, Magicals and Humans, who accepted them as they are. Creating settlements, cities and the like where Magicals grew up safe and sound. And then the King of Albion befriended and married a young and aspiring wizard who's name would be remembered throughout the ages, whose true story would be lost forever in times passed, but his deeds would be spoken of with respect and reverence. Their story is nothing more than fiction in the times to come.

Who was this King and his Magical mate, you ask? Why none other than King Arthur and the greatest Magician to walk the earth, Merlin. Merlin was the son of a Wiccan Potion Mistress and a Dragonlord, the Half Creature was gifted with powerful magic that grew as he did and even the natural magics of the earth and the heavens lent their aid when he asked. Creatures far and wide respected him, those who had not tried to kill or eat his mate that is, Magicals clamored to his feet, hoping and praying he would teach them.