22. Breath of A Stranger

Everly

"Can I get a water please? Extra ice!" I add, asking the bartender. He nods and walks to grab my cup as I wait for my drink.

Avery and I had at least 2 bottles of wine and she insisted on taking shots right before we left. I knew after the third shot I definitely was heading over the line of being just buzzed. Now I can feel my last shot taking over and pulling me into a drunken state. Dancing and being surrounded by bodies had me work up a sweat.

"Here you go beautiful ." The bartender slides my water over.
His voice sounds familiar but that could just be the alcohol messing with me.

I look up to thank him. He's not the bartender I thought I just ordered from maybe the other one went on a break. He's wearing a hat with the club logo on it's shadowing his face making it hard to see him but his voice sounds eerily familiar.

I take a sip of my water hoping to cool me down. I look up from my glass seeing blue eyes staring at me. Something in the pit of my stomach doesn't feel right. I shy away wanting to get back to our group. Cohen will get worried if I take much longer. I gulp the drink down and set the glass back down on the wooden counter.I stand up from my chair and my foot wobblers making me stumble. I guess I am more drunk than I thought. I feel a large hand grasp my elbow catching me before I face plant.

"Thank you, that could've been really embarrassing." I giggle as I look up to see my "hero".

"No problem beautiful. But let's go outside so you can sober up. Don't want one of these bouncers seeing you." I look up into the blue eyes of the bartender that handed my drink.

Why does he sound so familiar?

"No, it's okay I need to get back to my friends they're probably getting worried." I try walking into the direction of the group.

I stumble once again and his hand wraps around my elbow harder. I try pushing it off and telling him to let go but it seems like my words are stuck in my throat and won't come outs of my mouth or if they are they're jumbled. He doesn't listen and starts to pull me away.

I can barely keep my eyes open making it impossible to watch where I'm going. With every step I take blackness is creeping in. It feels like time is going by so fast but yet so slow. My limps feel as if they each weigh a ton and my legs are rooted to the floor. The darkness comes in further and the last thing I remember is cool air on my face and the breath of a stranger in my ear.

—————————————

Beep.
Beep.
Beep.

I pry my eyes open adjusting to the bright room. I look around the white sterile room realizing I'm in a hospital bed. My head feels foggy and all I can remember was leaving Cohen to get water after we danced. I look to my left and see dark brown hair cascade over the hospital sheet and my hand interlocked with Cohen's.
I squeeze his hand not sure if I can talk loud since my throat feels scratchy and soar.

I squeeze his hand again to wake up the beautiful sleeping man beside me. I could watch him forever but I need to know why I'm here. Did I over do it on the alcohol? Even though I slowed down drinking. Or did I fall? I can't for the life of me remember.

I squeeze harder and move my body slightly finally waking him up. His head snaps up and his eyes go from sleepy to wide within seconds.

"Baby! You're awake! Let me get the doctor!"

He jumps from his chair and runs out the room. A few seconds later a small older woman in dark blue scrubs and a white jacket walks in with Cohen right behind her.