eighteen

I walked through the big clear glass door to Oceanview café. It was my first proper shift today and it was way to early for this.

The weather was cold and stormy. Yes the small, quiet beach town was going to be having a massive storm this weekend and I was stuck having to go to work.

I remember how warm my bed was and how it was almost calling my name when I had gotten myself out after a massive pep talk.

"Hey Flo." Jay said happily as I entered the back staff room and plopping my bag down on the table.

"Hey Jay." I say happily as he was working today and I knew he would make the day go fast.

"I would have loved to just stay in bed today." Jay said slumping down in his chair.

"Oh my gosh same here, it made Ryder so mad that I had woke him up to drive me." I laughed scratching the back of my neck tempering how mad and sleepy Ryder was.

"Damn wish I was as lucky as him." Jay shook his head sadly.

"We should probably get out there and start working." I said walking out of the room as Jay made a gross groaning noise as he followed me.

I walked behind the counter and grabbed a note pad and pen. I looked around for someone that may need to be served in my section.

My eyes laid on a cute young couple in the corner sitting at a booth. They were sitting there happily, the girl laughed at something the boy had said and he just looked at her lovingly, it instantly reminded me of Grayson and Grace.

"Hi can I help you with anything today?" I asked politely looking at the couple.

"Can I please get a hot chocolate and some pancakes." She said as I wrote it down.

"And can I get French toast with a side of bacon." His raspy voice said looking back down at the girl.

"Is that all today?" I smiled.

"Yes thank you." They said in unison.

"I'll be right back with your orders." I said walking away and handing the food orders to the chef and got started on the hot chocolates.

With in at least ten minutes I had served the couple with their orders, I whipped a table on the way back to the counter.

"Flo can you please grab a piece of apple pie and chocolate cake?" Jay asked as he started to make two coffees.

I bent down and grabbed out a nice piece of apple pie and put it neatly on a plate, I then grabbed out a piece of chocolate cake and placed it perfectly center on another plate and parced them both to Jay.

"Thank you." He smiles placing them on a tray and then taking it to an elderly couple.

The morning was slow and peaceful and it managed to rain a little but eased off by lunch time. But that's when the madness started, Jay and a few other of the café staff ran around the café like headless chickens.

I had managed to serve ten people in five minutes and not mess up the orders, I cleaned fifteen tables and collected seven tips in my section.

"Flo can you please serve table ten?" Asked a girl how's name was Heidi.

Heidi was an older lady but she looked young for her age. She had big blonde supper curly hair, she had light blue eyes and a bright smile that held heaps of laughter.

"Yes no problem." I smiled and walked over to the table that was filled with jocks and someone that I dreaded and didn't expect to see here.

Jade Kennedy.