45. Huntress

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

I wasn't quite listening while Mrs. Bundt told her friends what was going on. She spoke hastily and skipped a lot of details, being careful with her words while we were listening. I... I tried my best to understand, but my headache was getting worse, if it was even possible, so I stopped trying.

Jaden stood between me and everyone else the entire time. I was stuck in the farmost corner of the living room staring at Arch who looked really sick. Jaden said he's a Diviner... Like I wasn't confused enough as it was... I suddenly wished I hadn't learned anything at all. I didn't want to know. It was too much. Way too much...

"Oliver?"

I looked up at Jaden, when he turned to face me. I waited for him to continue speaking, but it seemed like he wasn't going to. He looked slightly lost as well, and I hated the fact I couldn't feel what he was feeling anymore.

"I know this is a lot," he finally said, and placed his hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry you got dragged into this."

I didn't know what to say. I turned to look at the people around us. My kind. They were like me. I was like them, but still... I had always felt like I didn't belong anywhere, and now that feeling was much worse.

"You do belong," Jaden suddenly said quietly, and I looked back at him.

"You... Are you a mind reader?" I asked as a nervous joke.

"It's a werewolf thing," he said. "Remember? You're supposed to be my mate."

"So, you can still feel what I feel?" I asked.

"Yes, and I don't need an Echo for that," he said quietly. "You said it would be awesome if you had powers. What happened to that?"

"It's... surprisingly scary," I said slowly. "Is it too late to take back what I said?"

"A bit," he said with an apologetic smile. "But if it makes you feel any better, Spirit Walkers are respected creatures. You have thousand times more allies than you have enemies. Jack and whoever he's working with won't stand a chance. Besides, they'll have to get through us first."

"And this time we'll kick his ass," Tilly muttered.

"Why do you care?" I asked so quietly my voice was merely a whisper.

Jaden leaned closer to me. "Because for some reason, you were chosen to be with me, and I allowed it right there in the beginning. Right now, that's good enough reason for me."

I stared at him for a moment, before I suddenly felt the urge to hug him. His whole body stiffened when I wrapped my arms around his back, and rested my head against his chest. Why did I always feel much safer and stronger when he was next to me?

"Things will get better," he said and patted my back awkwardly. "Since we seem to be trapped in this house for today, we have plenty of time to talk."

I nodded, and pulled back to look up at him again. "Thank you. I think I'd have lost my mind without you guys..."