Narda

Percy's Point of View

It had been a couple weeks since we'd left Carvahall and started making our way through the spine. I did everything I could to help the villagers. I revealed one of my other powers to them albeit hesitantly. I wasn't sure how they would react, but if I didn't, I suspected that some of them might end up starving. That power was the one I got from Hestia that allowed me to make food appear. Unfortunately, even that power took some of my strength and I couldn't conjure up enough food for everyone. Due to this the villagers insisted I use that power to make sure the children got enough food. Another villager who they asked me to give food to was Elain, Horst's wife, who was pregnant.

Right now, we were doing okay foodwise, but I knew that wasn't going to last. Eventually, we would have to ration the food even more than we already were and I was worried that not everyone would survive. Late one evening I wandered away from the rest of the villagers, I know it probably wasn't the smartest thing I could have done since we were in a completely unfamiliar mountain range, but I had my weapons and I was sure I could take care of myself if I did run into anything. After everything that had been happening, I just needed some time to think. I felt drawn further into the mountains, I wondered if that was Kilf directing me to go there if it wasn't, I was concerned since I was sure that if it wasn't her it probably wasn't anything good.

Eventually, I stopped as I nearly tripped over something on the ground. When I looked that the object it made me think of a gemstone, but I had a feeling that wasn't actually what it was. The object was a similar shade of green as my eyes and it was smooth, its shape made me think of an egg, but that couldn't be what it was could it? If it was one, what kind of creature could be in an egg that size? I thought to myself wondering what it was. I had an urge to take it with me I wasn't sure why it couldn't really be of any use to me as far as I knew. I did take it with me though uncertain of what it was that I had found. I put it with the rest of my things and never bothered to mention it to the other villagers. It just hadn't seemed important.

A few days later though I realized it might be more important than I originally thought. I was watching that night just in case the Ra'zac or something else showed up. It was late and I was sure that the other villagers were asleep except for the other men who were watching other areas of the camp. I'd wandered a short distance away from everyone else and I sat examining the strange object once again. I still hadn't figured out what it was, but it quickly dawned on me when it started to shake. Due to my surprise at its sudden movement, I dropped it and it continued to shake and move around on the ground. Although it was kind of dark, I could see cracks appearing in the object. That's when I finally realised it was an egg, it had to be, there was no other explanation that made any sense. But what kind of creature could be in an egg that size? I found out soon enough when a chunk of the shell came off the top of the egg and a small creature crawled out of it. I wasn't sure what the animal was at first but after the creature cleaned itself, I realized it was a dragon. Thanks to Kilf I now knew a lot of Alegasia's history. I knew about the dragon riders, and how Galbatorix got his position as king. I also guessed that dragons here weren't like the ones I was used to back home. I hesitantly reached down to touch my dragon. The moment my hand touched its head pain shot up my arm but honestly, I'd been through much worse. As soon as I could I moved my hand away and I quickly realised that I now had a silvery mark on my palm. I started petting my dragon and as I was thinking about how I was supposed to explain this to the villagers. I felt something brush against my mind, suspecting that it was probably the dragon I hesitantly let it in.

As I was petting it the dragon squeaked and made other sounds that made it clear it was enjoying the attention. Even if it wasn't squeaking I could sense its pleasure in my mind. I was slightly concerned that all its squeaking might wake the other villagers, so I tried to tell it to quiet down. At first, I wasn't sure if it got the message since it seemed like it could only communicate using pictures and feelings, but it suddenly decided that it didn't need more attention and wanted food instead. Not sure what else to do right now I just used my powers from Hestia to make a few sausages appear and fed them to the dragon.