Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Liam Parker

It was a scene out of a movie.

My phone rang all of sudden and I was wondering who it was at one in the morning. I checked my phone and to my surprise, Iris' name was on the screen. I even had to look twice to make sure that it was her that was calling.

I had to calm myself down and answered the call. However, I was even more surprised to hear her sobbing.

"L-Liam. I need to see you please." she says, her voice breaking. I stood up immediately and started to put my jacket.

"Where are you?"

"I'm at the gate." I looked at outside and saw how hard it was raining. What's she doing here? Moreover, why did she need to see me?

For some reason, my heart started to race. I ran downstairs and found an umbrella by the door. I paced up to run to the gate while I called the guard to open the door.

I was already shocked enough today when she called me all of a sudden and told me that the triplets would be staying with me for a few days. When I picked them up, I didn't even see her. And when I asked the triplets about her, they said they didn't know.

And now, all of a sudden, she calls me and tells me that I need to see her.

No complaints though. I have been dying to see her also. But the heavy pain I felt in my chest every time I heard her cry scared me. What if I hurt her again even though I try not to? What if I do something worse? What if my love is not enough to keep me from hurting her?

Wait, what the heck Liam. This is not the time to be thinking of those things.

I ran faster when I could distinguish her silhouette from where I was. She was wearing a black long sleeves and blue pair of denim jeans. She was hugging herself, shivering, maybe trying to keep herself warm from the cold rain.

What was she even thinking going out in the rain without an umbrella?!

Slowly the gates started opening and Iris turned around, she stopped when she saw me but only to run towards me. Though, what I didn't expect was how she hugged me so tightly and she sobbed on my neck.

I was a bit confused and shocked, but I let her. She was crying hard, for what, I had no idea but it worried me. I hope I didn't do anything that hurt her again. I didn't know why she was crying, but I wanted to comfort her. So I did the only thing I thought would make her feel better.

I slowly brought my hands to her back and rubbed it, but she only cried harder.

"Okay, calm down. It's okay, now. Why don't we go inside first? You're soaking wet." I said as I let go for a while and tried wiping her tears, but that was useless because the rain got in the way.

She didn't say anything, but she nodded. I sighed in relief and smiled at her while I put the umbrella over her, shielding her away from the rain.

We started walking towards the house and I was slowly telling her to calm down. Thankfully, it was working because she wasn't sobbing anymore. She was trying her best to be calm.

Finally, we reached the door step and I had to let go of her to fix the umbrella by the side. Iris was still shivering when I got back to her.

"What were you thinking going out without an umbrella?" Was all I could say. But she didn't say anything, she just went up to me again and hugged me.

Is she drunk?

Why is she doing things she doesn't usually do?

"I'm so sorry, Liam. Everything's my fault. I thought it was the right thing to do, but I just ended up hurting a lot of people. I'm so so sorry." she started and again, the tears started.

What happened? Why is she being like this?

I momentarily let go of her and took a good look of her beautiful face. How could she look so perfect even when crying?

"What happened, Iris?" I asked calmly. However, I was already getting pissed at whoever made her cry.

"I-- I know about everything, now, Liam. My dad told me everything. About why you did that, how you saved him and helped him while I was gone. About your family, about Italy. I know, I know. You don't have to hide anything from me anymore." she said anxiously, touching my face and bringing her forehead to mine.

She was cold, but her touch against my skin was warm.

I smiled and nodded as I pulled her closer to me.

"So why are you sorry? Nothing's your fault. It was me that wanted to acquire more power. And I did anything to get it, even if it meant hurting my parents, hurting you." I whispered, but I was sure that she heard me.

"I know, I know. But you instantly regretted it, didn't you? That's why you helped my dad and kept our company going. You're the reason he's still here."

I bit my lip and pushed her slightly away from me. The topic about my involvement in her family was always a sensitive topic to me. Especially after five years ago.

"Don't treat me as a hero, Iris. He wouldn't have been in that state if it wasn't because of me."

She approached me again and made me look at her.

"And now, you're the reason he's still here." she tried to comfort me and smiled.

She seemed genuinely convinced that I was the reason he was still here and for now, nothing can change her mind about that. I noticed that she was still shivering under her wet clothes. So I tried my best to smile at her and held her hand.

"Okay, so why don't we get you changed first before you catch a cold?" I said and start pulling her with me upstairs.

However, we weren't far when she suddenly stopped. "No, wait. I have something to tell you." Iris said. A chuckle escaped my lips because whatever she wanted to say, she looked so pressed to say.

I took a few strides towards her and towered over her. Her eyes widened a bit and she started taking a few steps back.

Ah, acting all innocent again. What am I to do with this woman?

"What's wrong? I thought you were going to tell me something." I teased.

She looked flustered, her cheeks turning red and her eyes roaming the room to look for an exit, but I caught her arms before she could go somewhere else.

She loves to run away, you see.

"Uh-uhm, yeah. I need to tell you someth--"

One, I pulled her to me till her hands her on my chest and held her tightly. Two, I lifted her chin up so she could look at me straightly.

"Then, spill, Mrs. Parker." Iris tried to break free, but I didn't let her.

"Yeah, but in order to do so, I need a few spaces between us."

I tilted my head in feigned confusion. "Hmm? I don't think you minded this proximity before?"

Her cheeks flamed and she facepalmed, shaking her head. "Stop teasing me, I'm serious!"

Three, ki--

"Oh my, oh my! What's happening here!"

Perfect timing, nanay Grace.