VII

D

After leaving Mina, I made my way back to the restaurant to finish off what little was left of business to handle. I knew by now, my men would've gotten enough information out of our captives and hopefully that information would come with answers.

"What did they say?" I'd arrived at the restaurant to see a few of my men left behind. Those few were my closest and most trusted men alongside two more enforcers who were taking care of the bodies.

Ricardo stepped forward. "We learned that they are not the only traitors among us and that there are many more. They're also growing in numbers for reasons we aren't sure of but we have one plausible cause."

"And what is that? Stupidity?" I frowned. "What made them think that they would be successful in their infiltration? What gave them that false confidence?"

It was all in vain. Their efforts were for nothing now that we were aware of their presence.

Ricardo looked to Leo who also took a step forward. "We know that they were sent by somebody—somebody who is an enemy of the Famiglia and who is keen on seeing this empire fall. After you left, we found out who that is." He paused, taking a moment to process the information himself before he spoke again. "It's Vincenzo—"

"Bullshit." My words struck in disbelief. "He wouldn't dare to. Not after what we did to him?! He fled." I stood firm in my belief, refusing to accept the reality that had been handed to me.

Leo shook his head. "Sources say he's back in New Jersey and he has his sights on Devin. This is no longer speculation as he was spotted around five months ago according to the spies, just outside the skirts of Elwood."

Vincenzo Russo.

That name alone had my hands curling into a fist at my sides.

"And where is he now?" I asked, pacing the room with my hand over my mouth.

This couldn't be happening..

After all these years?!

"We aren't sure." Ricardo chimed in. "We'll try and find that out as soon as we can. On top of that, we'll begin to narrow down on all the possible rats within our organisation."

I sharply kissed at my teeth, growing increasingly frustrated with this new found information. The last thing we needed was an old issue resurfacing and this issue was bound to do just that.

"Who else knows about this?" I asked, my pacing coming to a halt as I turned to face them.

"Nobody else. Only the people present in this room are aware of Vincenzo." I scanned the room, taking in the faces of those present. If any of this were to become public knowledge, I'd know it was at least one of them.

"Keep it that way. Nobody else is to know of this except for the inner circle. That includes my father; as Don, he will need to know. I'll inform him tomorrow." I ordered.

The next day.

"Pax Domini sit apud vos." The priest spoke out into the congregation, his voice a ghostly echo in the large church. (The peace of the Lord be with you)

"And with your spirit." I murmured lowly feeling my mother's heavy gaze set on me. The voices of the others present in the church carried out a response in unison.

"Ut benedicat tibi Dominus in forti. In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti. Amen." The priest's voice chimed coupled with the loud church bells ringing. (May the Mighty God bless you. In the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit)

The congregation replied in unison with a resounding Amen.

My gaze scanned the church that was relatively full of the locals. However none were seated in close proximity to us. Why we attended mass was beyond me—I wasn't particularly a firm believer but my mother was, meaning church attendance every Sunday was mandatory.