4

chapter four
florence thompson
song:  i'm so tired... - lauv & troye

    Good news, Vincent De Bellis likes you too! You're a match!

    Panic ensued.

    I let out a girlish squeal and threw my phone across the room.

    You could say I reacted reasonably. My heart was thudding loudly in my chest, my pulse thumping in my ears. Anxiety bubbled in my stomach and my breaths were uneven. I hadn't actually expected him to swipe right on me, I was just humoring myself.

    What in the ever loving frick am I supposed to do now?! Message him? No way! Oh my god, I think I'm going to throw up.

    In the silent room I could hear my phone vibrate against the hardwood floor, only sending me further into a frenzy.

    Dear god, what did I do?

    I got up onto my feet, scooting over to my window that overlooked the lake and conveniently enough—the patio. The three of them were still sat around the blazing fire, all of them had a drink in hand and Alex sat by himself on the side that I had occupied with him not too long before.

    They all seemed relaxed, Brandon and Aria still cuddled together cozily.

    I stepped back from the window, my fuzzy socks gliding across the glossy flooring as I neared my phone. I bent down, slowly retrieving it and bringing it to life.

    Vincent De Bellis has sent you a message.

    My heart thudded relentlessly in my chest as I put in my passcode, opening up the app.

    What in this world could this man even have to say to me? Laugh at me and tell me how outright ridiculous I am for even swiping right on him, or better yet, to tell me that his swipe was accidental?

    Vincent De Bellis: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem a little innocent to be on here, Miss Thompson. It was the picture with the puppy that planted the seed, in case you're curious.

    My stomach fluttered again, I rolled my eyes nervously at his words.

    What is it with everyone thinking I'm too innocent to be a sugar baby? What do I need to do to be taken seriously? Become a prostitute?

    A clever come back was on the tip of my tongue, or thumbs rather.

    Is this how you start a conversation with everyone, Mr. De Bellis? If so, I'm willing to bet your success rate is fairly low, I typed quickly, pressing send without a second thought.

    I drew my bottom lip between my teeth as I watched the small check mark below my message, signaling that he'd opened the message. Small bubbles appeared on the left side of the screen and I watched with anticipation.

    I'll have you know, Miss Thompson, my success rate it pretty impressive. Quality over quantity is the key, I'm sure you know that.

    A smile danced on my lips when another message pinged.

    On another note, though, I see you're trying to persuade me into believing you aren't as innocent as you look. I'll bite. What makes you so...not innocent, Miss Thompson?

    An inexplicable feeling washed over me as I read his words and I rolled my eyes at him.

    I'll bite.