TWELVE

"I want to go to the Isle

"I want to go to the Isle." Gigi said. "And ask Mother Gothel who my mom is."

"You want to go back to the Isle." Freddie said. "And talk to her? The woman who abused you for years and stole you from your family? That's way too crazy. Even for us."

"Now Freddie." CJ said. "She has a point. Maybe she can't find out her real family if she doesn't take actions for herself. Good for you Gigi."

"How is she going to get away with that?" Freddie asked. "Her mom could lock her up again and we'd never see her again."

"We could go with her." CJ paused. "Did I just say that. Who am I?"

"Now is not the time for an existential crisis CJ." Freddie said. "When Gigi is already having one of her own."

"Sorry." CJ said. "Continue."

"We could help her I guess." Freddie said. "I could use my cards and make sure we don't get stuck on the Isle. This could work."

"But what about school?" CJ said, pausing again. "Who am I right now? Why am I saying these things? Why am I being the reasonable one. That's your job Freddie. Don't give it to me."

"I didn't." Freddie said. "This is reasonable. We're helping a friend in need! Maybe Fairy Godmother will take us out of goodness class! That class is giving me a headache."

"Ah yes ." CJ said. "Prove our goodness by going to Isle without her permission and by some miracle helping our friend find out who she is."

"You're being pretty pessimistic CJ." Freddie said. "Look at the bright side."

"There's a bright side to everything." Gigi said.

"I like your optimism." Freddie said. "CJ you should learn to be like that."

"I'm just pointing out what could go wrong." CJ paused again. "Oh no. What if my siblings see me? I'll be a goner."

"We'll stay away from that side of town." Freddie said. "Maybe crash with Dizzy. I'm sure she doesn't hate us as much as the other people do."

"But if we go see Dizzy." CJ said. "We'll see Sam. If we see Sam, we see Harry."

"That's not true." Freddie said. "Sam can keep a secret if we ask her to."

"But what if she doesn't want to keep the secret?" CJ asked. "What if she blabs it to the world."

"That was you who did that." Freddie said. "Sam is perfectly capable of keeping a secret."

"I asked Sam to tell me who my mom was if she knew." Gigi said.

"You talked to her?" Freddie asked. "How?!"

"I called." Gigi said. "She answered. We had a conversation. Then Harry interrupted it and said.."

"What did my stupid brother say?" CJ asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"He said.. 'We don't talk to traitors. Especially ones we knew would be from the beginning.''" Gigi said. "I had no idea what that meant. But I assumed either Sam knew who my mom was and wasn't telling me or Harry knows and she doesn't or maybe they both know... I don't know."

"They probably both do." CJ said. "She played you. Like she always does."

"Sam made it seem like she didn't know." Gigi said. "She said she'd ask for me, though I don't know how she'd tell me."

"So she played you?" Freddie said. "That's what she did. She isn't going to tell you, G. You're not special to her."

"I guess not." Gigi said. "But it was worth a try."

"Now she knows you might be coming." CJ said. "She hasn't talked to you or anyone in like five months. Harry's probably suspicious as to why she would now."

"So we have to watch our backs wen more than we had to in the first place?" Freddie said. "That's real fun. We're goners. There's no way we can make it without anyone catching us."

"I'm sure they'd be reasonable." CJ said though it came out more like a question. "I mean it wouldn't hurt to hope right?"

"No it wouldn't." Freddie said. "But we'd have to hope for a miracle. There's no way we can go without them catching us."

"So you're going to help me?" Gigi asked hopefully.

"Yes dear Gigi." CJ said. "We will help you even if we end up mentally dying in the process."

"Great." Freddie grumbled. "We're actually going through with this. What if my dad sees me? Or any of our parents really."

"We're going to be seeing Mother Gothel anyway so it wouldn't matter." CJ said. "But we could try to keep a low profile."

"We're not equipped for that." Freddie said. "With your flashy entrances and your big mouth, we'll be caught in minutes."

"Are you saying I can't be quiet?" CJ said. "If so, you are very right."

"You admit you talk too much?" Freddie asked. "Are we sure you're okay?"

"We can go right now." CJ said. "Come back by Friday."

"We'll miss classes." Freddie said. "Fairy Godmother will kill us."

"Two day's isn't going to be that bad." CJ said. "We'll make up some excuse when we come back."

"So we're leaving right now?" Freddie asked. "Is this our final decision?"

"Yeah." Gigi said. "I'll be right back."

Gigi exited the dorm, tiptoeing into her own where Maddie was asleep. She picked up a few things stuffing them into her old backpack she'd brought from the Isle. She tiptoed out of her room, leaving a note for Maddie telling her not to worry. She walked back into the room, holding her bag up.

"So are we going or not?" Gigi said.

CJ sighed stuffing a few of her things into a knapsack, as did Freddie.

"Come on." CJ said, opening the window. "This is the easiest way out without getting caught."

They jumped onto the window sill of an empty classroom, before jumping onto the ground. CJ threw a rock at a window of a dorm.

A boy appeared, leaning over the side.

"We going to the Isle?" Zevon asked.

"How'd you know?" CJ asked.

"A wild guess." Zevon said, shouldering a bag and leaping out the window. "Lead the way CJ."

CJ expertly led them to the docks, where her little old row boat waited for them.

"It's still here." CJ said as they climbed into it, taking turns rowing toward the Isle. "To the Isle we go! I'm so gonna regret this tomorrow."