fifty eight

December 31st, 2016

Anxiety.

That's the first thing she felt when she woke up, and she hasn't stopped feeling it all day. For a moment, she wonders if the other Camila had left a big mark on her, because she can't remember being this anxious since she was her. She wonders how she's going to sneak out, because she knows when it gets close to midnight and she's not there, her family will freak, but she has to be at the beach. She has to know if it's really Lauren, and why she hasn't contacted her.

"Are you gonna post your joke again?" Sofi asks, knowing how weird she's been acting the last few weeks. "You know, I haven't showered since last year."

"Yeah," Camila nods, because at this point, it'd be weird if she didn't tweet it. She looks over to her little sister and says, "You're definitely going to cover for me, right?"

"Yes!" Sofi says, for what probably feels like the millionth time. "I promised you I would, didn't I?"

"I know, but you could've changed your mind." Camila shrugs. "But thank you for doing it. Mami and papi would notice if I tried sneaking out, because I'm not exactly stealthy."

"You know I'm not doing it for free, right?" Sofi asks her, raising her eyebrows. "When I'm back at school, you have to do all my homework for a month."

"Should've known I'd have to pay for your services," Camila chuckles, her sister's audacity taking away from the nervousness for a moment. "You're lucky I love you."

Sofi smiles, and when she sees Camila swipe the spare car keys, she frowns. "You can't drive."

"Yeah, well... what our parents don't know won't hurt them." Camila shrugs, pulling her phone out of her pocket when it buzzes. "It's Dinah."

Sofi grabs her by the arm with a frown. "You can't drive the car if you don't know how. You'll get hurt."

Sighing, Camila drops the keys back where they're supposed to be, because she knows her sister could easily tell her parents everything, and then she'll be stuck in the house, and she won't be able to get to the beach. "Fine. I'll get an Uber."

She quickly orders it when Sofi smiles satisfactorily, and then opens up her text from Dinah, hoping for some kind of information.

China Jane 💅🏽💟 (11:15PM): I haven't heard anything from Lo

Walz 🐨 (11:18PM): well thanks for letting me know anyway

Walz 🐨 (11:18PM): i'll tell you everything when i meet her

Walz 🐨 (11:19PM): if it's even her

She sighs down at her phone, hoping against all odds that it's really Lauren, that it's her Lauren, a Lauren that remembers, but she's terrified that she's just going to get cussed out and told to stay away.

The necklace, Camila reminds herself, and her fingers move up to play with the moon charm. You have your necklace, and she still signed the card with your love. It was Lauren's handwriting, you know it was, so it can't have been from anyone else.

"Then why isn't she replying to me?" Camila asks aloud, opening up the one-sided text conversation with Lauren, sighing. She looks up at Sofi, and checking where her Uber is on the app, finally says, "Alright. Go distract mami and papi."

Sofi nods, and pulls her in for a tight hug. "Good luck, Kaki."

She slips out of the front door as Sofi disappears into the lounge, and the second her Uber pulls up, she jumps into the backseat and buckles herself in. Thankfully, her driver doesn't awkwardly try to make conversation, so she bounces her leg nervously as they drive.