Chapter Fourteen

Ethan

Running with Skye was an absolute bliss. To feel the crisp air on my face and to breathe the sea scented morning air was better than I remembered. Getting rid of every excuse to not do it and to have my feet hit the ground pace after pace after pace after such a long time was mind freeing.

I didn't realize how much I've missed running. I missed the ache and strain of muscles, the feeling of my heart rate accelerating, the sweat that soaked my shirt and that burning that accommodated my lungs as tried to catch my breath. It has been a long time since I've had an adrenaline rush.

God, I how much have I missed this!

It took us a while to find a way to make this work or at least to stop me from bumping into Skye or accidentally tackling her. We stumbled a countless number of times and we fell an extra handful of other, which became my favorite part.

The first time we fell, an ugly feeling of humiliation and irritation swallowed me and ate me from the inside. There was a reason why blind people didn't run outdoors and this was one of them.

Just as I was about to tell her to give up on the whole thing and just drop me back at home, that was when her arms rounded my shoulders and the softness of her lips caressed mine. Sweetly and gently making my head spin and my heart race. I could no longer remember what I was about to say.

After that, I tackled her a couple more times on purpose. I had a feeling that she knew my intentions, yet she would laugh, hug me and she would still kiss me. In all the times we reached the ground I managed not to fall on top of her or at least not to completely squish her underneath me.

When we finally synchronized our steps without incidents, there were moments where I got carried away and picked up a faster pace. The cord that we had circling my wrist connected to hers reminded me to slow down. Not that she needed me to. Skye was perfect. Whenever I picked up the pace so did she.

At some point she would challenge me and call me names teasing me. That was when I decided that she deserved a payback and I deserved the sweet results of an additional tackle.

After what seemed like two hours of running, perhaps more, I was sprawled on the ground heaving. Muscles burning, beads of sweat were rolling on my skin and my hair was sticking to my forehead. I could feel the lasting coldness of the wind on the front of my shirt over my chest where it was soaked.

Skye's fast breathing was inches away from me.

"That... was... fun..." Skye heaved.

I laughed and then coughed and wheezed like an old man making her laugh. The funny thing was that her laugh didn't sound any better than min. We broke into a string of laughs, coughs and wheezes.

When our breathing finally settled and evened, I turned my head in her direction, "Skye..."

"Mmm..."

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome"

The two words seemed too simple, it was not enough. And not just because we went running, but for all the other things. I shot sitting up getting irritated by my lack of vocabulary, "I meant for ev..."

Soft fingers touched my lips trapping the words in my throat. I took hold of her fingers, pressed them to my lips then captured them to my chest. Insisting on finishing what I was about to say.

I started over, "What I wanted to sa..."

Her other hand pressed to my lips and I did the same. Now that I've imprisoned both her hands I started for the third time, "Again, what I..."