Chapter 72

Layla's POV

It felt like millions of needles were being stabbed into my chest, repeatedly. My head was pounding and I felt like I was going to die any second.

This wasn't the first time I was having a panic attack. I had the same back when I thought they killed grandma. I had to go through that painful episode all on my own.

I bite my lip, trying to hold back the sobs. I just needed to get out of here.

I take a wobbly step forward, but end up tripping over my own foot, before I can hit the floor a pair of arms wrap around my waist steadying me, his manly scent enters my nostrils, and I hated how it gave me a sense of comfort after how he just treated me.

"Please, no." I choke out, trying to push him away.

"Layla, look at me." He cups my flushed, sweaty cheek, as he lowers his face to mine but I continue to stare down at the floor trying to calm my hectic breathing.

"You knew about this. You knew everything, didn't you?" I ask, finally pushing him away, and stumbling back, and I hear him sigh.

"Layla, stop–"

"Don't tell me what to do!" I yell, slamming my fist back on the table, scraping it.

My lungs were burning up, my heart on the verge of exploding, but I had to force out the words before I finally lose it.

"Yes, I knew." He says, exasperatedly, coming forward again but I slap his hand away, my nails digging into his hand by accident and he lets out a curse.

"You never told me, Why!? Nobody ever tells me anything. This is my life." I scrape my nails against the table. "What else is there? Since you seem to know more about my life than I ever did!" I raise my blurry gaze up at him.

His gaze fills up with guilt and worry, water dripping down from his hair and sliding onto his naked chest. "I'm sorry, Layla."

Killian's POV

I take a step forward, shaking my head as I gaze down at her tense, rigid posture. She was trembling excessively, her whole face bright red, veins sticking out from her forehead, neck and temples, as she clutches onto her chest, looking as if she was going to pass out any second.

I reach out for her but she shakes her head rapidly, her wet hair sticking onto her cheeks, as she stares at me with so much pain.

"Love, I'm sorry, I just didn't want to see you hurt, let me help–"

"NO!" She screams, shaking harder. "I bet you attended grandma's funeral as well." Her voice comes out cracked and shaky, as tears continue to pour down her eyes.

"I've had enough of this." She croaks out, and then leans off the table, wincing as she continues to breathe rapidly.

"She's pathetic."

My head snaps up to the voice, meeting Luise's gaze and I glare at her, clenching my fists.

Layla glances at her, blinking a few times, as her face sinks further. "I-I'm not. You." She responds in a shaky voice, a tear dropping from her eye.

Luise lets out a harsh laugh, flipping her hair back, and Gerald clenches his fists, his face turning beet red as she looks Layla up and down, a satisfied smirk making way to her face.

"You know, I'm really proud of what you've become." She tilts her head, looking at her with pure hatred and disgust.

"Ever since you were born. My main goal was to ruin you. And I'm so happy I accomplished it." She grins, pathetically.