CHAPTER FIFTY.

→ CHAPTER FIFTY; LILY.

Hannah watched as the rain poured down, the raindrops striking the pavement with a heavy thud. From her bedroom window at the front of the convent, she could see the whole street and all the children who were sprinting back home to avoid getting caught up in the storm. The dark clouds were looming over Small Heath, darkening the streets even more, only the lampposts bringing light which caused the pavement to glisten and sparkle. The wind was obnoxious and rattled the windows, a tree at the end of the road swaying from side to side as it battled with the force. It wouldn't be long before the storm passed though, and the sun would come back out, along with grins and laughter from residents. Hannah smiled at that - she had never related to the weather in her life but at that present time, she did.

There was a storm brewing inside of her body, then it would pass and be replaced with sun. Hannah's emotions were up and down, her feelings a mystery to herself and everyone around her, confusing people daily. She knew that her heart was with Michael, she loved him so much and forever would but the guilt was strong, she thought it would kill her. All Hannah could think about was poor Lily whose heart was being ripped to shreds, an engagement over within seconds of Michael saying that he loved Hannah. Lily's future would vanish into thin air and she would be travelling back home to New York alone, no longer due to marry a businessman.

Selfishly, Hannah couldn't wait for Lily to leave. As much as Hannah felt for the young woman, there wouldn't be a chance for Michael and herself to fully reunite with Lily still in the picture.

The bedroom door opened and Alexandra entered, a hot cup of tea in her hand for Hannah. There was silence as Alexandra walked over to window, the tea being placed down so Alexandra could also look out of the glass and watch the torrential downpour with Hannah. Their hearts went out to the nurses who were currently battling with the weather, Hannah was extremely thankful that she had finished her shift for the day and that she would not have to work again until next week.

"How are you feeling?" Alexandra questioned - she found herself asking that same question frequently. Hannah had enlightened her best friend of her visit to the betting shop. Hannah completely ignored the judgemental stares as she spoke with pleasure about how her future with the man, she was devoted to could be back on track.

"I don't really know, I'm feeling so many things that I feel a bit sick," Hannah answered as she took the cup of tea of the window sill, the heat warming her hands up straight away. The heating was broken at the convent, all of the nurses relying on extra clothing and plenty of blankets to keep warm until someone could come out to fix it. "I know what the answer is already but do you think I am doing the right thing, Alexandra?"

Alexandra shrugged, how was she supposed to know? "I think you should do what's best and what makes you happy. If Michael makes you feel good, which I know that he does, then you should take every possible chance that you get. You don't know what's going to happen in the future and you don't want to leave this world with any regrets."

"I think that if I didn't give Michael another chance, I would never be happy again and that it would be the only thing I truly regret when I'm on my deathbed."

Although Hannah was content with her choice, she was still confused about everything. The whole situation had been a whirlwind but that was Michael and Hannah all over, they never did things simply and they never would. Regardless of all the bad stuff that happened, there was brilliant times as well that would stick with Hannah for the rest of her life. Those were the moments she wanted to experience again. When Michael was simply Michael.

"Then go for it, Hannah and don't let anybody get in the way of what you think is right. If things go wrong again then don't come crying to me," Alexandra said with a chuckle as she lightly nudged Hannah. "No, but seriously, I trust your choice and I want you to be in a good place and I know that Michael brings you joy, in spite of the rough times."