Chapter 4

For a week you wandered around the tower, particularly those areas reserved for the Avengers and made notes. All of the team noticed, but they didn't ask any of the questions they undoubtedly had. Though by the end of the week, you had plenty for them. Everything from favorite colors to hobbies and favorite weapons. Nat finally flat out asked you what you were up to.

The corner of your mouth lifted in a smile. "Just doing a little organizing. You'll see soon enough."

She narrowed her gaze as she looked you over. "We're not much for surprises around here. Too many of them have led to nothing good."

You gave a little shrug. "Not really a surprise. More like me making a plan and getting all my ducks in a row before implementing any of it."

"So, forethought?" She pursed her lips. "We could certainly use some of that around here."

"What are you trying to say, Nat?" Tony asked as he walked in the room. "We all know you like my impulsive nature. Don't lie."

She rolled her eyes and left you alone with your soulmate.

"How's it going, hot stuff?" He made a show of looking around. "I don't see many changes yet."

"It hasn't been three weeks, Tony," you responded as you had most every day when he made inquiries into your progress.

He stepped toward you, closing the distance between the two of you until he was only a foot away. "You're up to something and I'm not sure I like it. I'm the sneaky one around here."

You didn't say anything as you forced your gaze to remain locked with his though every fiber of your being screamed for you to close the remaining distance between you. That wouldn't totally be out of line or anything. Your heart raced and you wondered if you affected him even remotely the same way he got to you.

After a moment that felt like forever, he took a step back and turned to the rest of the room. "Gear up. Fury ordered a training mission. Wheels up in sixty."

There was a collective groan from everyone in the room save you.

"How long?" Steve asked.

"His exact words were more than three days. Less than forty." You had to stop yourself from smiling at the disgruntled tone in Tony's voice.

Everyone started to disperse. "If there is anything you'd like me to take care of while you're gone let me know," you called.

Tony turned his attention back to you and gave you that little smirk. "You got this?"

"I got this," you assured and immediately started to check to see if anything needed to be rescheduled.

***

Three days later you were on an empty floor of the tower that had been under reconstruction until you got hold of it. Now the rebuilding was done and the workers were putting the finishing touches on the paint. Tomorrow, all the things you'd ordered would be brought in by a horde of workers. The Avengers were going to come home to an all new tower.

"I'm not sure what I expected when Stark told me he was hiring an assistant for the team, but it sure as hell wasn't this," a deep voice said, startling you.

You turned to find none other than Nick Fury standing near the elevator with his hands clasped behind his back. Tony had warned you that you would have to interact with the man at some point, but you had assumed you'd have Tony there as a buffer. You swallowed past the lump in your throat. "Hello, Director. What can I do for you?"

He held up a form as he studied you with his one eye. "Are you the one that sent this requisition form over?"

You sucked in a breath. You'd assumed some faceless worker bee would fill the requisition. "I am."