Chapter 7

The Maximoff twins and Bucky Barnes arrived early the next morning. The twins were quiet, well Wanda was quiet. Pietro was quiet for all of about five minutes then his mouth started running fast enough to rival his feet. He was a natural flirt and had you and Natasha laughing in no time. The boys didn't seem nearly as amused by his antics.

You'd just finished showing them around their floor and paused by the elevator. "All the information you need to know about SHIELD's requirements for your probation is in the folder on the counter in the kitchen. You should review it. There will be a therapist on staff starting today. He will come here for your sessions so you don't have to leave unless you choose to do so."

"Thank you," Wanda said giving you a small smile. "We appreciate your kindness."

"Dr. Jones will only have access to the common floor. It's up to you whether or not you allow him access to your private floor. If you need anything, just ask Jarvis and he'll let me know, okay?"

They both nodded and you waved as you stepped onto the elevator to head to Steve's floor.

It was quiet when you arrived and you tilted your head listening for any sounds. After a moment, you gave up and called out softly, hoping to get someone's attention. "Hello? Cap? Sergeant?"

Steve's head poked out of the door of a room down the hall and he smiled once he realized it was you. "Come on, Buck," he said as he stepped into the hallway and headed in your direction. 

Bucky wore his long hair loose so it covered most of his face. You gave him a warm smile. "It's an honor to have you here, Sergeant. Can I call you Bucky?"

He nodded once but kept his gaze focused on his feet. You shifted your attention to Steve figuring that would make the other man more comfortable. "You know you can move things around as you see fit. Dr. Jones starts today and will only have access to the common floor unless you choose to grant him access elsewhere. You got the folder of information on Fury's restrictions and requirements?"

Steve crossed his arms over his chest and nodded. "Yes. Thank you."

"Not a problem. I trust you to show him around." You glanced back to the other super soldier and immediately saw his shoulders tense back up. "You can feel free to ask me if you need anything, Bucky. Or you can tell Steve and he can tell me. Or hell, talk to yourself and Jarvis can tell me." His nod was so subtle you barely caught it. Your heart ached for this man. You didn't know his full history but you knew enough.

"Anything, Steve," you emphasized, knowing both men would be reluctant to trouble you. It was just how they were brought up.

You got into the elevator to head back to your floor and leaned against the back wall. "Jarvis, keep an eye on Sergeant Barnes for me please. Let me know if anything seems off."

"Of course, Miss."

***

A couple of hours filled with paperwork had passed before Jarvis announced the arrival of the therapist. You glanced at the clock as you told him to let the man up. It suddenly occurred to you that you hadn't seen Tony all day. That wasn't an oddity in and of itself as you normally only saw him when you headed to the lab. You had thought he might search you out after the almost kiss the day before but it was of no consequence that he hadn't. The two of you weren't love sick teenagers after all. You both had work to do.

The elevator dinged as it arrived on your floor and you stood to greet the psychiatrist. Barrett Jones wore a three-piece suit and a smile as he made his way to you. He did that thing where he shook your hand with both of his and you barely resisted the urge to cringe. You hated when people did that, particularly men. It was intrusive and always felt false to you somehow. You extricated from his grip as quickly as you could without being rude and gestured to a seat at the table.