Chap. 5

"I ordered a pizza," Kylie said, flopping down on my bed.

"You're such a fatty," I teased, turning on my TV.

"So where was your other half today?" she asked, flipping the channel to TBS.

"He wasn't feeling well. My mom took him some chicken noodle soup."

"You're so lucky," she sighed. "Your parents love your boyfriend."

"It gets a little weird sometimes," I admitted. "But Bryce's mom is always out-of-town, and his dad skipped out on him, so my parents just kind of adopted him."

"How's his therapy going?"

"He hates it."

She laughed. "Sounds like Bryce." She sat up on my bed. "As long as he's good to go for Friday, everyone knows that's their rival game day."

"Pizza just got delivered," my mom said, opening my bedroom door. "I can only guess that Kylie's over."

"Thanks Momma Allen," Kylie said, taking the pizza box from her. She popped it open and immediately devoured a piece.

"How's Bryce?" I asked, taking a piece of pizza for myself before Kylie ate it all.

"He was sleeping when I went over there. His mom said that he'd been sleeping pretty much all day."

"His mom's home?"

"She flew in this morning." Her phone went off. "Alright, well I'll stop hovering. Just holler if you need me."

"Isn't his car still here?" Kylie asked, turning up the volume on my TV.

"Yeah, he'll get it eventually." I turned down the TV a little. "So how're you and Landon?"

"He drives me crazy, but I love him."

"How does he drive you crazy?"

"He gets so jealous," she complained. "I mean, if I'm talking to another guy, he flips his shit."

"Trust is important in a relationship."

"Says the girl in the perfect relationship."

I laughed. "Bryce and I aren't perfect."

"You guys are called the Golden Couple for a reason."

"We are not called the Golden Couple."

"You guys are in the yearbook for being the Golden Couple!"

I laughed. "We've only been together for two years. He's adorable, I'll give him that, but we definitely aren't perfect."

My phone started blaring Endlessly by The Cab, Bryce's ringtone.

"Speaking of your other half," Kylie teased.

"Morning sleepy head," I said, answering my phone.

"Hey," he answered, groggily. "Is my car still there?"

"Sure is."

"I'm just going to get it tomorrow, okay?"

"Not a problem. How're you feeling?"

"Exhausted," he answered. "I've literally been sleeping all day."

"How long has it been since you slept?" I asked.

"A good week and a half probably."

"Well one good thing about being under the weather is it makes your body tired."

"Oh yeah," Bryce said, sarcastically, "let's become addicted to getting sick."

"I don't think that's possible."