twenty-one

Newt hurriedly climbed the stairs to their living room quarters

Newt hurriedly climbed the stairs to their living room quarters. He was worried Neeki would get hurt. His wand was drawn, curious and expecting someone dangerous. Instead, Jacob and Queenie stood in the middle of the room, suitcases beside them. Queenie was nervous and excited, while Jacob was unfocused and over-merry, seemingly drunk. He was holding the remaining pieces of Newt's vase, which was broken. Neeki's tail was swishing back and forth excitedly as she sniffed Queenie.

"If you could just give it to me... Just give it to me, sweetie. Just give it to me," Queenie whispered. "If you could just give this to me, sweetheart. Oh!"

Jacob was looking at Newt. "He doesn't care. Hold it."

"St - "

"HEY! NEWT! Get over here, you maniac!" Jacob bellowed.

He flung his arms around a delighted but awkward Newt. Neeki purred and licked Queenie's hand before transforming into a human.

"We hope you don't mind. We let ourselves in. It's raining out there - cats and dogs! London's cold!" Queenie exclaimed.

Neeki grabbed Queenie's hand and placed it onto her cheek. Neeki sighed happily as she took in Queenie's scent and palm.

"It's wonderful to see you too, Neeki," Queenie said.

"But you were supposed to have been Obliviated!" Newt addressed Jacob.

"I know!"

"So... But..."

"It didn't work, pal. I mean, you said it. The potion only erases bad memories. I didn't have any. I mean, don't get me wrong. I had some weird ones. But this angel... This angel over here, she filled me in on all the bad parts, and here we are, I guess, huh?" Jacob said.

"This is wonderful!" Newt joyfully exclaimed.

"Why don't I make us some dinner?" Queenie asked.

"Yes!" Jacob exclaimed.

Soon after Queenie made dinner for the four of them, they sat at a table bearing Newt's mismatched crockery. Queenie's case lied open on the sofa.

Queenie coughed. "Tina and I aren't talking," she announced.

"Why?" Newt asked.

Jacob's vision was pink and hazy as if he was drunk.

"Oh - well, you know, she found out about Jacob and I seeing each other and she didn't like it 'cause of the law." She mimed quotation marks. "Not allowed to date no No-Majs, not allowed to marry them. Blah-blah-blah. She was all in a tizzy. Anyway, we're real excited to be here, Newt. This is a - well, it's a special trip for us. You see, Jacob and I, we're getting married."

She showed them her engagement ring. Neeki peered at it, silently comparing it to the jewel on the collar that Newt had given her. Jacob tried to toast the moment but poured beer all over his face.

"I'm marrying Jacob!" Jacob shouted.

Neeki tilted her head. Newt never mentioned what marrying meant.

"Marrying means a legal act of commitment between two people who love each other," Queenie explained.

Now Newt knew what was going on. He glared at Queenie. You've enchanted him, haven't you? Newt thought.

"What? I have not," Queenie defended.

"Will you stop reading my mind?" Newt asked. Queenie, you've brought him here against his will.

"That is an outrageous accusation. Look at him. He's just happy. He's so happy!"

Newt drew his wand. "Then you won't mind if I - "

Queenie jumped up and tried to shield Jacob from him. "Please don't," she quietly pleaded.

"Queenie, you've got nothing to fear if he wants to get married. We can just lift the enchantment and he can tell us himself."

Queenie moved aside with hesitation.

"What you got there? Whatchu gonna do? Whatchu gonna do with that, Mr. Scamander?" Jacob laughed.

"Surgito."

Jacob reacted as though to a bucket of cold water. He spazzed out and shook around, pink smoke erupting from him and floating over his head to form a large heart. The large heart eventually exploded, causing Neeki to jump up in surprise. He came back to himself and took in his surroundings. He looked at Newt and Neeki. The two looked very uncomfortable.

"Congratulations on your engagement, Jacob," Newt said.

"Congratulations," Neeki repeated.

"Wait - what?" Jacob asked.

Newt looked at Queenie.

"Oh - no," Jacob said.

He realized he had been taken against his will. Slowly, he got to his feet to face Queenie. With a sob, she ran to close her case and packed several small objects, then ran out of the apartment.

"Queenie!" Jacob shouted. He turned to Newt and Neeki. "It's very nice to see you." He turned to leave, but turned back around, making a full circle. "Where the hell am I right now?"

"Uh - London."

Jacob was frustrated. "I always wanted to go here! Queenie!" He ran after her.