Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The soft rays of sun caressing my skin made me open my eyes. Still dizzy from my short sleep, I squinted at the white mesh curtains dancing by my big windows and yawned.

My body feels light against the soft white sheets. Masyadong malaki ang aking kama para sa akin kaya sa tuwing gabi ay mas lalo din akong nalulungkot. I stare at the empty spaces before I fall asleep, wondering why I always have to be alone.

I chuckled bitterly. My mind had been long corrupted that I find reasons to be sad in every little thing.

Nababaliw na ata ako.

Isang mahinang katok ang lubusang pumukaw sa aking katawan. The knocks are not aggressive, so I supposed it is not my mother or father. Mabagal akong umalis sa kamang mabilis akong nangulila dahil na rin sa pagod at tinungo ang pintuan.

I threw the door opened, revealing a young housemaiden in our mansion, carrying a tray of medicine and a glass of water.

"Senyorita, ipinabibigay po sa inyo ng mommy niyo ang gamot niyo..." aniya sa mahinang boses. She refused to meet my eyes as she gently thrust the tray to my direction. "Hindi po kasi kayo magising kagabi..."

My cheeks flushed as I accepted the tray. "Uh... pasensiya. Sobrang pagod lang siguro ako. Salamat dito, ah?"

She nodded, averting her gaze away and never meeting my eyes. Sensing her discomfort and wanting to free her from the misery of being around with me, I dismissed her and carried the tray inside of my room.

Albeit I have been freed from the sanatorium, I never stopped taking the anti-depressant pills. My mother always made sure that I take it, every single day, so that I wouldn't act crazy all of a sudden otherwise she'll be the laughing stock of her amigas again.

"Senyorita, bumaba na din daw po kayo sa agahan. Hinihintay po kayo ni Madame at Sir..."

I nodded again and finally dismissed her. Tuluyan na akong pumasok sa kwarto ko at inilapag ang tray. I stared at the white bottle. It has no labels. My mother made sure that no one knows I'm taking the pills, especially the people outside of the house. The issue of a crazy Roman daughter would spark again and my parents will go nuts. My mental health is, and will always be, a secret to the world for as long as I am under their wings.

Niyakap ako ng katahimikan ng umaga habang pinagmamasdan ko ang malaking kwarto. I wonder why, even a spacious room like this, could make me feel so lonely? Dapat nga ay matuwa ako. My room is equivalent to the living room and kitchen combined in a typical suburban house. How ungrateful of you, Stormie, to think of it this way...

Napailing na lamang ako at sinunggaban na ang gamot na dapat inumin. I popped one inside of my mouth and washed it off with the lukewarm water. Pagkatapos inumin ang gamot ay kinuha ko ang aking roba at ibinalot sa katawan. Sinuklayan saglit ang maiksing buhok at nilinis ang kuko bago ako tuluyang bumaba.

My parents and Shantel are already eating when I arrived. I murmured a 'good morning' to all of them pero tanging si Shantel lang ang ngumiti sa akin.

"Did you sleep well?" she murmured when I sat next to her.

"Swell." I murmured back, afraid that our parents would hear us and yell at us in the breakfast table.

Ibinaba na ni Dad ang kaniyang binabasang diyaryo at sa unang pagkakataon ay tinitigan kaming dalawa. My mother is busy sipping on her morning tea and ignored the rest of us, as well.

"What do you want for your debut, girls?" he asked, finally in a gruff tone.

Doon pa nakuha ang atensiyon ni mommy sa sinabi niya. Nagkatinginan lang kaming dalawa ni Shantel at walang nangahas na sumagot.