001

My father, Winston Sumner, who the streets named Deebo after the infamous Friday character was probably the most feared and celebrated man in our area.

The ladies loved him he was handsome, tall, and wealthy because of his unorthodox methods. This made my mother, Elisha,extremely despised by many. A lot of people wanted to see their relationship fail, those who wanted to swoop my father up and even the men who wanted my mother rooted for their downfall. Unlike most, they have the strongest relationship and been together since they were 21.

My brother KJ is a spitting imagine of our dad tall, dark and handsome but unlike my dad he actually has hair. My brother is our dads biggest fan and has been trying to follow in my fathers footsteps of unorthodox business since he reached middle school but my father didn't allow it.

Now there's me, Kimani Lorraine Sumner. The baby of the family and the apple of my entire families eye. Nobody is perfect but I was expected to be and you would think having a family that did nothing but praise you, protect you and wish nothing but the best for got is amazing.... it is, but sometimes it's just too far.

June of 2015

"Yo, you deadass?" Reggie asks with a raised eyebrow as the two of us sat on the stoop outside of his apartment building. "You deadass ? Or is this one of those I'm trying to keep you things?"

I rolled my eyes as I looked down at the positive pregnancy test in my hand. "I know you and your mom think you're the greatest thing but nah, I don't want to keep you." Although I've been trying to keep myself together, my hands were shaking my head was spinning and my eyes were filling with tears.

"If your dad or better yet your brother find out I'm fucking dead you gotta get rid of that damn thing now!" Reggie clearly was in a panic, I don't blame him. He wasn't wrong.

"I have to tell them... I'm 16, how in the fuck am I suppose to pay for an abortion... I-I look I just won't tell them who the dad is, I mean nobody knows about us, right?"

Reggie's face seemed to calm down nodding. He was the one who insisted we keep the two of us a secret, I always thought it was because I wasn't the most girly and if you wanted to find me I'd be on the basketball court with the boys unlike the girls my age who spent time on the sidelines trying to impress the guys. After awhile I knew it was because who my family was

"If you need anything... you know where to find me." He gave me a soft smile "look if things were different.. on both of our sides I wouldn't mind starting this with you but ma ya family is crazy."

I couldn't help but laugh and was touched by his words. It was comforting even if he didn't mean it.

"Call me if you can..." He leaned in to peck my lips but I was hesitant to kiss back.

"I gotta go before my dad starts blowing my phone up." I stuffed the stick of death in to my pocket and used my hoodie to cover my face.

It took me about 21 minutes to reach our house. We still lived in what was considered the ghetto but a few blocks had houses instead of apartments and living here was a huge status symbol.

I sighed watching the dogs run around in the front yard and once they noticed me they excitedly greeted me as I walked in to the fence. "Hey! Hey my little babies." I showed each large pitbull the same level of love and excitement as I walked passed.
"If you here me screaming come save me okay?" The dogs looked up at me with lost eyes. "Okay, good boys"