0.3

It was around midnight when I went back to the coffee shop and saw Brendon was there.

This is ridiculous.

I went inside and heard the bell causing Brendon to look up from his phone.

"What are you doing here?" He asked and I walked over to him.

"Came to keep you company. You seem..." I looked around the place not seeing anyone inside. "Lonely."

"Thanks." He said and didn't tell me to leave so I took that as a welcoming. I dragged a chair and sat in front of him keeping a distance.

"Why do you stay here so late?" I asked and he bit his lip.

"My grandma wants this place open."

"Then why isn't she the one that's here?"

"She's in a wheelchair." He said and I pursed my lips. "She thinks it's still the same. This coffee shop was big when she was young. People came in and out all day and she wouldn't close until the last customer was satisfied, she didn't kick anyone out no matter how late it was. But it's been years since, the people who used to come here are probably as old as she is or dead. The new locals don't know this place exists, especially since they opened up that club across the street. Why come to a boring worn out coffee shop when there's a way better place close by, right?" He chuckled but he held sadness in his tone.

"Have you tried telling her it's not the same?"

"Tried? I told her for three months every day, but just gave up because she's still so stubborn."

"You're wasting your time here, why hasn't she hired anyone else?"

"She wants this to be a family business. The cooks are my cousins. No one else wants to work here and since I used to love this place..." he trailed off and sighed. "She thinks I still do."

"I mean," I got up and looked around. "It's a nice place. There's room for more stuff, even tables." I said and he nodded.

"We removed some tables since not many people were coming anymore."

"Wait," I said and imagined this place in my head. "There, a boom box or a stage, karaoke night!" I said and he chuckled.

"I wouldn't appose to that but not many young people come in here."

"Karaoke is for all ages."

"That sounds great, but we don't have the money for it."

"I can buy it."

"What?"

"I can buy the stuff, we can go together." I said and he chuckled but I kept a straight face.

"Wait, you're serious."

"Yeah."

"But why would you pay for it?" He questioned tilting his head, more like a cute puppy.

"Because the food here is great, you just need to attract locals. When I saw this place it looked abandoned but it was the only one that was opened. I bet if we painted the walls and fixed a few stuff it'll be perfect."

"It all sounds amazing but my grandma would never approve of painting the walls."

"We can convince her."

"We don't have the money and I can't let you waste your own on a karaoke machine. Lots of elders come here, they won't appreciate loud music." He explained and I shrugged.

"Sorry for the sad truth but they'll be gone in a year or two. This place needs to modern itself up. All these elders order is coffee. There's tons of coffee places, the food here is good but they're missing out because they don't have teeth. The teenagers willing to waste money will come here and eat that food. Brendon, I'm trying to make some sense here. You do understand, right?"