91 - Flowers and Kittens

Felix guides us into the village that brims with life in an instant as they spot us. The village begins to buzz, and long before we actually make it to the gate a huge bonfire has been lit on the middle of the village.

I glance once more to the young men around me and then stop on Asher as he give me a half smile. I take a momentary breath. I can guess what happened, but it would be better to get a proper report.

"What happened between them?"

Asher glances to the other guys and then gives an uncomfortable look.

"Peony and another overly rash guy charged at the snake. He insisted he could kill it on his own, and he... probably could have..."

Asher hesitated.

I of course just stare at him patiently. No surprises thus far. Peony was an excellent hunter that had taken down magical beasts on his own. Usually you'd be a group of three to five people to kill one magical beast, so he was definitely skilled.

This in itself was not a problem... but Peony insisted he didn't need help with anything, and he doesn't want to help either. He doesn't care for friends, so of course he doesn't run properly with his pride. If left be, he would die on the battlefield.

"But the snake tossed him off and targeted other people than him and kept him at a distance since he hits like a child."

Asher choked on air.

"L-Lily-sama..."

Peony is average in the strength area. Average is the strength of warrior kids in my former life after they've been in school for a couple years.

With beasts over a certain size I find that it hurts more to hit harder than to hit precisely. Though, it may also be because the enemy usually trembles before our warriors the more they are hurt. Kenta especially was like that... he was usually quiet and stoic...

I put a hand to my head. I can't go in that direction... Focus on the matter at hand.

"So, what happened next?"

Asher seemed uncomfortable.

"Darius tried using a knife. Vitis had to move a good deal of men to make sure Peony wouldn't be isolated and killed off. They got swiped with the tail pretty harshly... so when the battle was over Vitis was... quite angry."

That was putting it mildly. He was fuming.

"Did Peony give in?" That was the important part.

"Peony said the only reason they got hurt was because they did something unnecessary, since Peony hadn't gotten hurt at all... that he was fine on his own, and that it would have been better if they attacked from the other side. So... Vitis walked off in defeat and hasn't spoken to Peony since."

...I want to groan. Peony wasn't wrong, but it was... an annoying move... especially for Vitis that wanted Peony as a part of the group.

"Vitis didn't ask for a duel or beat him up?"

Asher gave a momentary shake of his head. I brush a hand through my hair. What a pity. It had been such a good chance to get some progress for Peony. Let's just hope Vitis bounces back. I, for one, was not expecting Peony to act. A guy that doesn't care for making friends probably won't care for losing them either. He might even be thinking 'they weren't worth it if they looked down on him'.

I can't tell if I am being too negative. As for Vitis... I think he wants to see Peony fret or feel guilty... Of course, Peony doesn't seem to do either. If Peony has enough wits to win arguments, then he should be able to see Vitis' goal made sense... but would Vitis being angry with him make him give in a bit? Maybe I'll send a prayer to his ancestors for them to guide him... I should...