Chapter 2

Amber's

"Miss Timberlake." I looked at Mrs. Portner who just called me. Her hair tied in a bun, although it didn't make her looked old, she wore her uniform almost perfectly. She seemed nice yet strict. I thought of how all math professors showed that kind of vibes. She'd been teaching Calculus in our class, although she specialized in other math related subjects as well. I just knew those things but I didn't care still.

"Yes?" I eyed her, hoping she would get my hint that I wanted her to be straightforward. I've been always like this even though I didn't mean it sometimes.

She smiled, unaffected with my stare. She's a professor, she knew what to do. Some students get startled whenever I look at them. I heard from some that I have a pair of cold eyes. I didn't know their exact point why, but I didn't pay any mind.

"We're having a new student here and I chose you to tour her around and orient her about our rules and regulations. You seem to be the most reliable student but you seem unsocial, Timberlake." She smiled, patting me in the shoulder. "This may be a good opportunity for you to learn a thing or two about socializing."

I nodded at her showing that I understood. I didn't want to do it if I have to choose honestly, but I can see that this professor was just trying to help me. It's true anyway, I lacked in social skills.

"Good." she said, "She's in the admission office right now. Do you want me to go with you?" I shook my head and she nodded. "Okay, good luck."

I did as what she told me. She already excused me from the class so there's nothing to worry. She went back to her class and that's when I've gone out and made my way to the office.

Gladly, there were only few students in the corridor. I never liked crowded places, it's very uncomfortable. There were different kind of students and you'll never know what's running in their minds. They're noisy, they expressed a lot. It's too awkward. Maybe it's because I was home schooled since I was very young. I was not used in seeing lots of people. I only started going out like this since my father wanted me to experience real schooling with classmates and lots of professor.

I stopped after seeing the admission office. I knocked on the sliding glass door before I went in. There was a long sofa at my right side where people sit and wait for their turn. There were lots of shelve and cabinet where files were compiled aside from being encoded in the computer's database. The office was unusually cold although it's manageable.

Quickly, I saw a girl sitting on one of the chairs right at the table and the admission officer on his recliner sit. Supposedly, there were few more staffs here but I think they're on break or something.

"Good morning, Sir." I greeted the admission officer. "I was sent by Mrs. Portner."

He nodded and stood up. He went beside the girl, motioning her to walk closer to me. "I want you to tour Miss Abraham around the campus ground. Also, I'm hoping that you two would get along together since magkaklase na kayong dalawa."

Get along together? That's the least possible thing that I can do, whether we're classmates or not. I was just obliged to do a task. Still, I just nodded at him without completely approving to everything he said.

"Okay. So, Miss Abraham, siya si Miss Timberlake."

The Abraham girl went closer to me, offering a smile as she extended her arm to me for a handshake which I took. "Hi, I'm Zekhaila, but I'd prefer it if you will call me Zeke."

"Amber Timberlake." I introduced my name. "I'm pleased to meet you, Zekhaila."

She frowned at me then pouted her lips, maybe she didn't like that I didn't address her using the nickname. "Nice to meet you, too, Amber."

I tried taking my hand away from her grip but she wouldn't just let go. She's just smiling at me. "You're holding my hand too tight."

"Oh, sorry." She broke the handshake and laughed softly. "Ang lambot ng kamay mo, eh."

I can't help but frowned. That's weird. I felt like I've seen her before. But maybe it's just my imagination. I didn't think I ever met her. Well, never mind. After our small introduction, I led her first on our University's library. Nasa likuran ko siya at sumusunod lang. Mukhang matino naman pala.

"This is the library. Well, that's it." I said. I didn't know what more to say.

"Ang tipid mo naman magsalita." she said. "At saka, hindi ka ba marunong mag-Tagalog? Dudugo na ilong ko sa'yo, eh." She raised her head dramatically and acted like she's really having a nosebleed. I didn't find it funny.

"Marunong." I sighed, checking the time on my phone.

"Oh, 'yon naman pala, eh." Her brows furrowed for a bit but it relaxed quickly. "Mag-Tagalog ka na lang, ha? At saka habaan mo naman 'yang dialogue mo, nakakapanis ng laway 'yan."

"Let's go." I said instead. We went out of the library and proceeded to the cafeteria. "As you can see, this is a cafeteria so you can eat here as much as you please."

I was just practically telling her all about the place we've gone to. That's all she needed to know. I was just giving her the directions so she won't get lost. The rules and regulations, she'd know it sooner. After almost half an hour, we're done already.

"Nasabi ko na yung dapat mong malaman so I should better go now." I said rather cold. I was about to go when she held my hand. I stared at her in a questioning manner.

"Teka lang naman. 'Di ba sabi ni Admission Officer, we should get along together now? Sumama ka na sa'kin kumain."

"Ayoko." I bluntly declined. Her smile faded but it didn't even last for three seconds.

"Ah, basta. Kakain tayo sa gusto mo o sa gusto mo." She stated with a giggle. "Tara." She then dragged me straight to the cafeteria.

Ni hindi man lang ako nakapag-protest. This girl was aggressive. She made me sit on the vacant chair. There were students around and it's uncomfortable.

"Anong gusto mo?"

"No, thank you. I'm not—"

"Kakain ka, Amber, or else you won't like what I'll do to you." My jaw dropped at her statement. Was she kidding? Threatening me just like that, that's absurd! Who's she trying to make fun of?

I tried gazing at her, trying to back her down. Instead of getting startled like the usual reactions I get, she just smiled, raised an eyebrow teasingly, provoking me to try and get punished. She looked serious despite the light expression.

I sighed. "Give me a clubhouse sandwich and a softdrink."

She smirked at me, her eyes looking playful. Tumayo na siya at pumunta na sa counter para um-order. I was left dumbfounded. She's probably...a bad news.