[ CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR ]

1002, southern france

With her cheeks flushed a humiliated pink, Aubrianne hurried from Lady Astrid's chambers, the long, sheer fabrics of her skirt brushing the marble flooring as she made her way towards her own small chambers

Her first time in meeting Lord Niklaus- her Lady's husband, had been embarrassing and intruding. Aubrianne could only hope Lady Astrid wouldn't be angry with her in the morning, though she highly doubted that.

Lady Astrid was a pleasure to serve, and more than a nice break from the Lord Tristan, who had surprisingly and rather reluctantly given Aubrianne to Astrid for the remaining of Astrid's visit.

She dreaded the day the beautiful young lady and her family would return to their own keep, leaving her once again in Tristan's slimy clutches.

"Going somewhere, little dove?" A cold and calculated voice purred suddenly.

The blood in her veins turned to ice as she was shoved harshly against the wall, soft fingertips mockingly stroking her cheek. The guards behind Tristan took a step backwards before turning so they would not witness their Lord's actions, something Tristan would often request.

Swallowing, Aubrianne couldn't help but tremble as Tristian caressed her cheek with a gentleness he had never possessed.

His touch, though soft, frightened her even more.

With a grin on his usually cold and emotionless face, Tristan's free hand moved to wind a strand of red, wispy hair around his finger before pulling harshly.

Letting out a hiss of pain, Aubrianne managed to withhold the terrified whimper that wanted to desperately leave her lips.

Making noise would not help her, no one could help her. Not from lord Tristan.

Letting out such pathetic whimpers would only anger him, something Aubrianne had soon learned upon being given to Tristan as a present by the Count.

"Why are you in such a hurry? I do hope nothing has... Frightened you." Tristan mocked coldly, letting go of her hair as Aubrianne frowned.

Knowing not answering would also enrage him, she swallowed nervously. "M'Lord..." She pleaded.

He grinned.

"Yes, little dove? I'm only checking nothing has upset the Lady Astrid's new handmaiden." He mocked. 

Although his tone was void of any clear emotion, it was evident through his broad shoulders and tense posture that Tristan resented giving up Aubrianne to Lady Astrid. He had never been good at sharing his toys.

Though a beautiful and bewitching woman, it seemed not even Lady Astrid hadn't managed to charm the bitterness out of Tristan.

If someone like Lady Astrid could not, Aubrianne was pretty certain no one could.